Suggestions for cold water regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik H

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody of the scuba diving community!

I know this topic has been posted MANY times before, but from what I have found none of the previous threads match my circumstances perfectly or are recent enough due to updates in regulator technology. So now it is my turn to start a new thread on "cold water regulators".

My background: I am a newly "open water" certified diver who lives in Stockholm, Sweden. I've done about six open water dives in the Stockholm area but have always used rental equipment from my LDS (dry suit, BCD and regulator set). All of my dives were in February and March with water temperatures at 1-2°C, but due to the cold temperatures and cheap rental regulators (Scubapro but don't know the model) I kept getting free flows due to regulator freezing. NOT FUN when you have to keep going up to the surface every 10min due to free flows, so now I am looking to get my own regulator set.

I'm the type who likes to buy quality from the start instead of something half good now and having to buy again something better in the future. I'll continue to dive in the Stockholm area throughout the year but will likely also travel with my gear to warmer climates (did my first "try scuba diving" in Florida and loved the coral and wildlife). I plan on getting an "advanced open water" as well as "enriched air nitrox" certificate but am pretty unlikely to do tech/cave diving and wreck penetration, but who knows...

From my research in articles and lists of top regulators I have come to the following conclusions:
  • The regulator MUST be environmentally sealed.
  • It has to be DIN for me.
  • I'd like two HP ports, one for a simple brass SPG and one for a transmitter for my dive watch.
  • Piston seems to have better air flow characteristics according to articles i've read, but environmentally sealed regulators seem to be mainly diaphragm.
  • I'd like both the first and second stages to be balanced if not over-balanced.
  • Nitrox ready.
  • Adjustable second stage for cracking pressure and venturi effect.
There are a lot of regulators that are "cold water" rated by the manufacturer but that seems to be a rather broad term. A few models keep popping up as top regulators:
  • Apeks: MTX-R/RC, XL4+, XTX50
  • Scubapro: MK25 EVO/A700, D420, S620
  • Zeagle: F8
  • Atomic: T3, B2, Z3, ST1
  • Cressi: Compact Pro MC9-SC, AC2, AC25 Master Cromo
  • Hollis: 500SE DC7, 200LX DCX
  • Mares: Abyss 22 Navy II, Rover 2S
  • Aqua Lung: Leg3nd, Calypso, Mikron, Core
  • Sherwood: SR2, Blizzard Pro
  • Oceanic: Zeo FDXI, Alpha 10 SPX, Delta 5 EDX
An extensive list I know. I have no experience with any of them so I'm asking for your opinions. Any that are truly good down to 1°C with good reviews? Any other regulators that I have not listed?

The setup I am planning is my own sort of long-ish hose (mix between tech/long hose and recreational setup) with some sort of swivel joint at the second stage (for comfort) and free flow shut-off switch on the hose (in case of second stage free flow). What are your thoughts on such add-ons when it comes to cold water performance and freezing? Would there be any problems with them being leak or freeze points?

My list:

1. Poseidon XStream (different but really good in cold and also deep)
2. Sherwood SR2 (best of both worlds, dry sealed and a piston)
3. ????? I hate SP is killing off the MK-17, it has been a long time in my diving gear
(I also own and dive HOG and Deep6 in cold water here)

I'd say the issues with free flow were likely poorly tuned/maintained equipment...

And no on the in-line shut off..... complexity you don't want/need.

I agree with Bob’s list and will add the Atomic and Zeagle F8 are excellent Regs too, I use in line shut offs for a different reason and they are simple to use but you may wish to get more experience before adding something like that.

Sherwood is my main focus right now and I really enjoy the performance and technology, what I will never be able to attest to is performance in water that cold.

I have a SP Mk19 evo/G260 with no issues in the cold or warm
I have an Apeks XTX 200 with no issues in cold or warm
I have an Atomics sealed piston M1 and also ST1 with zero issues in the cold and warm
I would think in your area Poseidon Xstream would be popular..
We use to dive Poseidon Cyclon 300 and Odins with a Vodka filled "condom" cup with zero issues in the cold

I always forget Zeagle. Back years ago it was very popular here. They have fallen off the radar as no shops here carry them...

More the fact there aren't that many shops here anymore...

I always forget Zeagle. Back years ago it was very popular here. They have fallen off the radar as no shops here carry them...

More the fact there aren't that many shops here anymore...
Victims of he Internet, shops can’t compete with low overhead internet equipment sales but shipping costs are about to turn the tables, knowledge of other gear is a plus, many don’t care for the brand pushing, even those who fall for it often learn later and become resentful. I really liked Zeagle until the Huish takeover.

zeagle also had a boost when they were the US importer for apeks before aqualung bought apeks

any shop that carries atomic should have access to zeagle now

for scubapro, mk19 evo and g260 should also be considered.

deep 6 also ticks all your boxes for the signature.

I really liked (insert names of all brands acquired) until the Huish takeover.
Agreed, they remain good gear but the outdated corporate mentality doesn’t work for me :wink: and yes all makers have the same mentality and all have good and bad stories, to much consolidation is killing innovation.

Poseidon Odin.

Back
Top Bottom