Question What to bring vs rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask and computer, two very personal items. Sometimes snorkel and fins if there are lots of opportunities to snorkel.

So for the ring “some” people, what gear do you dive with that can easily be substituted with unknown size or quality stuff?
I switched from a jacket BC to a BP/W long ago, but I like to think that if I had to rent a BC--or if I were the type whose goal was to rent as much as possible--I could dive with a rental BC.

I switched from a jacket BC to a BP/W long ago, but I like to think that if I had to rent a BC--or if I were the type whose goal was to rent as much as possible--I could dive with a rental
Once the weighting is figured out properly then there is very little air in the BC so what it is shouldn’t matter.

I switched from a jacket BC to a BP/W long ago, but I like to think that if I had to rent a BC--or if I were the type whose goal was to rent as much as possible--I could dive with a rental BC.
BCs are one of the things - flippers are the other - that I don't typically pack for redundancy. But then again, I only very rarely carry any air my BC. I suspect I could be pretty happy diving without the BC.

Can dive within a pinch is one thing, I had to dive inTruk with a jacket b/c until the airline decided to bring my backplate, doable but I would never put myself in that situation purposely.

I also don’t fit into generic stuff for the most part, size 15 feet make fin options less than tolerable, I had my fins with me on that trip, reg, but not my mask.

I pick stuff that performs the way I want and fits the way I want, really don’t want to leave things to chance.

for anyone who thinks it doesn’t matter let me submit that you may be diving crappy gear at home.

Can dive within a pinch is one thing, I had to dive inTruk with a jacket b/c until the airline decided to bring my backplate, doable but I would never put myself in that situation purposely.

I also don’t fit into generic stuff for the most part, size 15 feet make fin options less than tolerable, I had my fins with me on that trip, reg, but not my mask.

I pick stuff that performs the way I want and fits the way I want, really don’t want to leave things to chance.

for anyone who thinks it doesn’t matter let me submit that you may be diving crappy gear at home.
I hear ya. You (and I) are looking for performance. Truk is, in my view, a bucket list destination. But there are many divers who just want to float along the reef on their vacations, and any good-quality BC will suit them--or at least the benefits of renting it will outweigh the burdens of owning and bringing one.

I hear ya. You (and I) are looking for performance. Truk is, in my view, a bucket list destination. But there are many divers who just want to float along the reef on their vacations, and any good-quality BC will suit them--or at least the benefits of renting it will outweigh the burdens of owning and bringing one.
Agree but those are people who dive vs divers.

when you get around to Truk make sure you have the most important stuff in your carry on.

Agree but those are people who dive vs divers.

when you get around to Truk make sure you have the most important stuff in your carry on.
Well, this thread is in the Cozumel forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom