Advice on new regulator for beginning OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best option is if you get a reg from most of the really good dive shops, DRiS, DGX, etc. you can request that they sell it to you with the yoke conversion kit so you can swap it yourself. Takes not much longer than putting a DIN--yoke adapter on, and is much better...

Sorry for making it sound like a failure point, I guess it technically is an extra o-ring, but like I said, the DIN o-ring isn't one that I have ever seen go bad, only lost :) and that is usually from someone putting a 112 in a 111 regulator or vice versa. It'll fit, sort of....

If you buy the Edge Epic from most of the hog dealers, they can throw the conversion kit in for about the same price as the adapter, so you keep an allen key *which you should have anyway*, and a box wrench, which is super cheap and rather small, and you can swap them over yourself.

Why is it always that if a person wants the shiny new MK25/A700 he is an idiot and is being screwed by the LDS? Maybe that person wanted that $800 regulator.

I have another regulator and I also have the shiny new MK25/A700 that I paid $700-800 for, not because the LDS sold it to me but because I saw it, I wanted it and i bought it. I am not an idiot and I did not get screwed by the LDS.

Sometimes people want what they want. If they have the money to buy it and if it is what they want, they should. It is their money and you really shouldn't care.

For instance, I have no real need for a Ferrari, but if I had the money and wanted one I would buy it. I certainly wouldn't buy a 72 volkswagon beetle. Either would get me where I wanted to go but I would much prefer the Ferrari.

I don't care how people decide to spend their money however, higher price is no guarantee of higher quality but is often the basis of higher profit. If someone, say the OP, is looking for a certain set of parameters that happen to be a VW or toyota or chevy, I won't advise them to buy a Ferrari because they have the money available.

Bob
------------------------------------------
The laddy doth protest too much, methinks.

You guys know I meant the o-ring...I was wrong about Tusa though.

Go ahead and pick me apart though...:shakehead:

Hi. I'm not up on all the various brands and details of equipment.

What are the top mid-range regulators:

Atomic Z2 (good reg good value, Atomic line not sold by particular retailer of choice)
ScubaPro M25/s600 (expensive, but seems very popular.) - is it heavier than normal b/c of full metal design
ScubPro M21 with S560 and G260 - can't really tell the difference between these two except cost and one is metal and one is carbon fiber. Cheaper than the s600.
Apeks line i hear is good, but also not sold by my particular retailer of choice

What about Mares, Sherwood, Cressi, etc.

This is for a female that would prefer a lighter weight one, but doesn't want a cheap one. A good balanced, perform in various environments, adjustable, etc. Something they can grow with. I would say under $700/$800

Thanks

- weight doesn't matter. They're all neutrally buoyant and essentially "weightless" under water.
- all the brands you mention make outstanding regulators. Everyone will have a preference (so do I). I would say within the lines you mentioned you'll be able to find a regulator that suits your needs for years. Look into local service. If you can't get it serviced locally you'll regret that.
- whatever you do get a DIN fitting on it.

R..

The point was that a person is blasted because they bought the expensive regulator and they must have been screwed by the LDS. I bought it because I liked it and I could afford it. I did not get screwed by the LDS, it is what I wanted and they sold it to me. No problem.
I don't care how people decide to spend their money however, higher price is no guarantee of higher quality but is often the basis of higher profit. If someone, say the OP, is looking for a certain set of parameters that happen to be a VW or toyota or chevy, I won't advise them to buy a Ferrari because they have the money available.

Bob
------------------------------------------
The laddy doth protest too much, methinks.

Don't forget that unless you're diving an Air2, or equivalent, you'll need an Octo too. Don't skimp and buy a cheap, poorly made octo either. If you ever need to pull it out, youll be glad to have a dependable, easy breathing, back-up reg.

Why is it always that if a person wants the shiny new MK25/A700 he is an idiot and is being screwed by the LDS? Maybe that person wanted that $800 regulator.

For instance, I have no real need for a Ferrari, but if I had the money and wanted one I would buy it. I certainly wouldn't buy a 72 volkswagon beetle. Either would get me where I wanted to go but I would much prefer the Ferrari.

I get a chuckle out of this, because it's hardly a fair analogy. There's a huge difference between a ferrari and a VW beetle, but not such a big difference between a 20 year old and brand new regulator. I could afford any regulator (within reason) that I want, but my absolute best go-to single tank set up is my $25 MK5, $25 converted balanced adjustable, and (I splurged on this one) $100 converted pilot. $150 and I am CERTAIN that the performance matches or exceeds anything new on the market. I also have a few MK10/D300 setups for doubles/cave use that I paid well under $100 for each set.

The car/regulator analogy is often used by dive shop salesmen but does not actually represent reality. Diving with an old inexpensive regulator, well maintained and adjusted, is every bit as enjoyable as diving with a brand new titanium bling-reg. As much as I liked my old 65 VW microbus and my 70 beetle convertible, driving something like that has almost zero resemblance to a modern car.

But, you are correct, nobody should be called an idiot because they got talked into spending a lot of money on a regulator, and anyone in sales understands that people make purchasing decisions for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with the function of the purchased object.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 07:55 AM ----------

So would you guys recommend getting a din with a yoke conversion as a backup or the other way around?

Get a regulator that fits the tanks you will be using most of the time. It's as simple as that. There are spin-on adapters that allow you to use a DIN reg on a yoke tank, but it's foolish to buy a DIN regulator with the intent of using it mostly with an adapter. Using the adapter completely negates all perceived benefits of the DIN system and puts the reg uncomfortably far off the tank valve where it can smack you in the head every time you look up. The adapters are fine for the primarily-DIN diver who occasionally encounters a yoke tank, but that's it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom