Advice on new regulator for beginning OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, all mine have been used.

But the one linked is very old, the original MK25 (2002-2003 vintage) and I would say s600 (2001-2005). They would need servicing and kits $100-$150. The balance chamber may need upgrading on the s600 ($40). Need to know if the MK25 has constant IP other wise the piston may need changing, $100.
2002 isn't old or vintage.
Nothing has really changed since then.
Since the conversation has turned to used gear, there is a ton of very good used gear out there for pennies on the dollar, you just have to know what you are looking for.
Used is great way to save a ton of money, especially if you pick brands that you can get parts for and do your own service work.

I kind of dropped the idea of giving advice when the OP was going to spend $700/800 for one set of regs. If a good reg cost that kind of money, I'd go back to free diving full time. As it is, I picked up a Sherwood Blizzard on closeout a few years back for $350 and it works just fine well deeper than 130'. My used regs were quite a bit cheaper and also perform well.

I believe you are doing some mighty fancy diving to need a seven or eight hundred dollar reg.

Bob

Bob, that qualify if the $700-$800 is matching second stages and a SPG/console? It's a lot of money but isn't all that unreasonable... Hell a new Sherwood Blizzard is $400 just for the 1st and 2nd... Another $150-$200 for a secondary, $70 for a SPG and hoses, and you're getting awfully close to the $700 price mark....

2002 isn't old or vintage.
I said it was vintage 2002/2003 meaning that it was made between 2002-2003 not that it is a vintage item. For an MK25 it is old, it is the first variant, sure it is not as old as the first invented dive gear!
Nothing has really changed since then.
Not a lot has changed but there have been two body changes that I expected would have no effect for normal recreational diving. The body style may impact on the value, I personally would not buy this variant as it does not look like an MK25, with the distinctive 'thermal' shoulders.
Used is great way to save a ton of money, especially if you pick brands…
You still need to be careful. As I said it would be good to know the IP status and probably the service history for this age of reg. Given that the parts can be expensive the savings can be reduced rapidly.
I have bought 6 sets MK25/s600/s600 second hand. I would say total cost is about 50% of the best discounted new price I can get. I can service these myself, my costs include 1 piston and service items.

$700 or $800 is absurd for a new reg set and anybody who is dumb enough to spend that deserves to get ripped off.
Bob and I were just on the phone today discussing this exact topic of regs as a matter of fact.
We were comparing notes about how much free or dirt cheap stuff is out there and servicable to last another 30 or 50 years.
The new stuff doesn't breath one iota better, or at least of any noticable difference to the average diver than the old stuff of comparable build and features. The ONLY thing that makes a reg obsolete and not worth continuing with is parts availablity, or a hack rebuild job at some point in time by a hack technician that FUBAR'd a reg beyond repair, and there are plenty of those out there (hack techs).

That would be why all of my regulators were purchased used, most recent one was a $35 Poseidon Cyklon 300 *going to cost me about $150 by the time I get the parts needed to rebuild it and hose adapters and what not, but still a good deal for two firsts and a second*, one before that was about $260 for a pair of Poseidon Jetstreams, so 2 firsts/seconds/spgs, and before that was a doubles set of Hogs for $350, but those were new.

El Mar is an Atomic Dealer. IMO David Hayes is about the best reg tech in town anyway so worth the short drive.

This is for a female that would prefer a lighter weight one, but doesn't want a cheap one. A good balanced, perform in various environments, adjustable, etc. Something they can grow with. I would say under $700/$800
They also sell Apeks/Aqualung so your diver can get a Mikron there as well - that would've been my first suggestion also. They're $495 list.

A Z2X also has the swivel. It's a lot more comfortable. Atomic uses some Titanium components across the line so their 2nds are all lighter. The lever and the Seat Saving Orifice are Ti on all models. The SSO gets you a recommended 2 year service interval also. At $719 list the B2 also has a Ti valve body in the 2nd stage.

From what I understand a MK21 has some components optimized for cold water diving. I haven't really looked at in detail though. Price seems a lot better.

LP Scuba and Phoenix Scuba are the only Edge dealers in town. Both on the west side.

I got my Poseidon Jetstream for ~$190.
It's close to 20 years old now and still going strong and working excellent, there's a reason these regs have been around for ages with almost no changes to the design, it's just that good :)

Tapatalked

$700 or $800 is absurd for a new reg set and anybody who is dumb enough to spend that deserves to get ripped off.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately newbies are all "dumb" and are relatively easy pickings for dive shops who upsell because of profit motives.

Bob, that qualify if the $700-$800 is matching second stages and a SPG/console? It's a lot of money but isn't all that unreasonable... Hell a new Sherwood Blizzard is $400 just for the 1st and 2nd... Another $150-$200 for a secondary, $70 for a SPG and hoses, and you're getting awfully close to the $700 price mark....

Yes , it did come with all the trimmings including a compass in the console and included Ca sales tax. I hadn't had a new reg set since '80 and had cash burning a hole in my pocket and I'm a sucker for Sherwood's. Otherwise I would have probably found a used newer set than my old Magnum and rebuild.

I agree with Eric "The new stuff doesn't breath one iota better, or at least of any noticable difference to the average diver than the old stuff of comparable build and features. The ONLY thing that makes a reg obsolete and not worth continuing with is parts availablity, or a hack rebuild job at some point in time by a hack technician that FUBAR'd a reg beyond repair, and there are plenty of those out there (hack techs)."

I've got an old Sherwood 4000 from the '70's that breathes as good as my new regs however, the yoke is made for 4000# service but was made for the old post and J valves so it will not fit over today's larger tank valves and if any of the non o-ring parts wear out they will be hard, or impossible, to replace, so I just dive it occasionally, for old times sake. Good equipment will last a lifetime but the parts supply and experienced techs won't. My '60's Nemrod's, a single and a double hose, are still operational as well.

Bob
------------------------------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom