Beginner Equipment Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIRC, the harness was not well adjusted (admittedly I was trying it out once) and it was very loose. So it felt like the BCD was floating a bit above my back and I was constantly holding on to it.

Also on the surface, it was a bit weird as my weight belt was pulling my down, the BCD riding up and the crotch strap digging into my groin.
A bit of background info: the shoulder straps on a one-piece harness should be adjusted to be quite loose (at least a fist of space between strap and chest), but the waist tight.

It shouldn't float away from you. Your exposure suit makes you positively buoyant and the gear is negative, which presses both together and is neutral overall. Even with a weight-belt, you should be slightly positive. (This lets you be neutral with an empty wing and reserve gas.)

My first impression is you may have had more lead than necessary, leading to the tug of war between wing and weight-belt with your groin in the middle. 🙂 A steel BPW, for example, probably requires 2-3 kg less lead than a traditional BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom