2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday 5/23:
- Noontime walk with friend's dog - 2.1 miles, 50 minutes (lots of sniffing)
- Gym - Elliptical (50 minutes), 3.7 miles, approximately 585 calories. Avg HR 132.

Pretty good week for workouts.

Thursday 5/21/09 Treadmill at home 30 minutes at 4 mets in the a.m.
Thursday 5/21/09 Weight Training at gym 45 minutes and Elliptical 30 minutes at 5.8 mets in the p.m.

Friday 5/22/09 Treadmill at home 90 minutes at 15 minutes at 5.3 mets, 60 minutes at 6.1 mets and 15 minutes at 6.6 mets (and mowed the lawn!)

Saturday - no workout - running errands - shopping.

Sunday 5/24/09 Headed out for a beach walk - will let you know how it goes.

Yeah. Glad to see others are joining in, if only once a week. Today was my day off but I went diving with a good friend. We did a 63 minute shore dive in 50 degree water, I in my wetsuit. Needless to stay, I was keen to surface as near to the shore as humanly possible. My legs are spent.

Back to the gym tomorrow, perhaps. Might take a day off.

Monday 5/25:
Treadmill (20 minutes), 1.03 miles, approximately 162 calories. 125 AHR.
Elliptical (20 minutes) 1.6 miles, approximately 235 calories. 132 AHR.
Wii Fit AE Sports Active (24 minutes), approximately 185 calories.

Well... so that the thread doesn't feel so lonely, I'll throw in some of my workouts:

This one from Saturday.
While in the Seattle area, we visited with a friend from Scubaboard, Coach Izzy. He co-founded a Strength and Conditioning facility called Next Step Conditioning on Bainbridge Island, across Puget Sound from Seattle. On a surprise visit to his place, Izzy took a look at some muscle tightness and shoulder issues I have, and started working some of them out. He invited us to come back the day before we flew out to workout with him. His blog can be found at Next Step Conditioning blog.

Izzy has competed in Olympic lifting and does a lot of kettlebell work, so we had the opportunity to work on:

• kettlebell high pulls
  • kettlebell swings (one and two handed)
  • kettlebell cleans
  • Barbell cleans
Not only was it a good workout after our hiking days, it was also good to work on new skills! We were also able to help him in a small way... we'd just purchased the World Class Coaching DVD's a week or so earlier for the Snatch and the Clean, so we knew where the website had moved! Now he can replace his VHS copies lol!

Thanks Izzy! It was great meeting you!

Monday I did some Glute Ham back extensions and situps, as well as a couple of short rows, but little else. Not real motivated after some jet lag and getting to bed at 5AM in the morning after getting home from the airport.

Tuesday was a better day for working out though!

Trying to get back into the flow of some of the workouts after vacation, so I started with a 5k meter Row today. My last (and only) attempt at this was 4/8/09 in 25:15.

To help set the pace, I programmed in 6 intervals and used a pace boat and increasingly faster pacing to warm me up and keep me moving. My goal was to do 5000 meters in 25 minutes.

The pace is in parenthesis, followed by the actual time per 500m pace. (No stopping between intervals).

Interval 1 500m (2:45) 2:32
Interval 2 1000m (2:30) 2:28
Interval 3 1000m (2:25) 2:24
Interval 4 1000m (2:25) 2:23
Interval 5 1000m (2:20) 2:17
Interval 6 500m (2:15) 1:59

Total: 5000m, 23:38 (average 500m pace was 2:22)

Almost 2 minutes better than my last attempt! Sweet!!!
icon_smile.gif

Well... so that the thread doesn't feel so lonely, I'll throw in some of my workouts:

Well, I don't feel lonely in here, but I am definitely glad to have some company. Logging in creates, in my mind, some degree of responsibility.

Yowzers re: rowing. That's impressive. :) Congrats on beating your last time!

Tuesday 5/26 - Much needed day of rest.
Wednesday 5/27 - Elliptical (53 minutes), 4.6 miles. Approximately 600 calories. AHR 135.

Well, I don't feel lonely in here, but I am definitely glad to have some company. Logging in creates, in my mind, some degree of responsibility.

Yowzers re: rowing. That's impressive. :) Congrats on beating your last time!

Tuesday 5/26 - Much needed day of rest.
Wednesday 5/27 - Elliptical (53 minutes), 4.6 miles. Approximately 600 calories. AHR 135.

Rowing... the worst part of beating my best time was that Penny got on the rower after I finished and beat MY time by :38!!!! {brickin' brackin' sassafrassin'}

She knows how competitive I am and knew it would drive me nuts if she beat me... she was right... but I've got other fish to fry and don't have the time to try and beat her time yet.... so instead... I'll just stew... lol

Got lazy yesterday and couldn't drag myself to the gym. So I stayed home and worked up a good sweat doing a full body workout with the Wii Fit AE Sports Active.

Thursday 5/28 - Wii Fit Sports Active (30 minutes), 205 calories. Followed up with some yoga stretching and deep breathing.

Heading on vacation tonight so I am hoping to get in a workout before the flight and then to do some walking and such while on vacation. Fun times. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom