"Women's" BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Are the "Men's" BC's ok for women? I'm fixing to get a new BC, but can't really find a woman's I love. Do any of you women have a "man's" and are there problems? I'm still leaning to a "woman's" but thought I'de ask anyway. Thanks...
Jo

whatever one fits you best is the one for you. i had a woman's that i ultimately decided didn't fit, so i went to backplate & wing, which is unisex & fits great.

ps - love the 'fixing to'! :05: love it when people type southern!

BabyDuck:
whatever one fits you best is the one for you. i had a woman's that i ultimately decided didn't fit, so i went to backplate & wing, which is unisex & fits great.

ps - love the 'fixing to'! :05: love it when people type southern!

LOL! Didn't even notice my Texas T'wang. Yeeee Haaaw :laughing:

Unless you go backplate and wings, I think there is a significant difference in fit and comfort (IMHO) given the different parts that we have and our female shape...

It all depends on your body type and shape. If you are a female with a lot of curves, you might find a woman's BC more comfortable. If you are a shorter woman, you might find a woman's BC fits you better because it's cut shorter from shoulder to waist.

The "other" BC's, by the way, are not really just "men's" BC's - they're unisex BC's. If you are taller or straighter, you may prefer these. So yes, it's perfectly ok to use a unisex BC.

Some women prefer a backplate and wings.

The only way for you to know is to try many kinds, and see how they feel/fit. Some LDS's will let you try them in the pool to see how you like them before you buy or maybe you could try a friend's. Good luck! :wink:

I love my Diva LX cos it accounts for boobs, and waist and lumbar support can be adjusted for almost a customised fit.

One of my dive buddies is in the process of testing a woman's BCD for ScubaLab (her former SO, Jon Hardy, started ScubaLab). Looks like there will be another article on women's BCD's in SCUBA Diving. Know there was one there within the past 6-12 months as well.

lostinspace:
I love my Diva LX cos it accounts for boobs, and waist and lumbar support can be adjusted for almost a customised fit.

Amen sistah! LOVE mine too. Works in the boobs and hips. Unisex one always got hung up on my hips and rode up.

drbill:
One of my dive buddies is in the process of testing a woman's BCD for ScubaLab (her former SO, Jon Hardy, started ScubaLab). Looks like there will be another article on women's BCD's in SCUBA Diving. Know there was one there within the past 6-12 months as well.

Can't wait to see how they test out.....once certified and I start shopping for my own gear I'd be very intererested to see what most women prefer.....I do however in addition to the curves have a wide back....I have not come across too many women who are diving w/ a BC NOT designed for women however...

ZenDiva

I have a swimmer's body....broad shoulders and wide back....and dive with a Zeagle Zena. My first BC was a Diva and I hated it after just a few dives. It rode up something fierce and I felt like I could never get it to fit to my body to feel comfortable. Once I tried on a Zena, I knew it was the right BC for me. Moral of the story? Try on as many BCs as you can find...whether they be for a woman or not. Once you find the one that fits you perfectly, you've found your BC. Doesn't matter what any of us love or recommend, it's the one that fits you that's the right one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom