Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys like to confuse issues... Servo and hydraulics used in these systems are not wireless... I believe more of the issues here is with wireless transmitters inability to reliably sync...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably, most of the cars controls are already electronically controlled.

We load up in an airplane, hurtle through the air a high speed and all of those controls on the big airliners are electronic.

AWAP beat me to it.
And it all has back up and over rides. How about a car without over ride driving itself at 70mph with you in it?

For technical diving I can see your point. For recreational diving I would like AI to your example of farm equipment.

BTW Like Pete, I don't have an spg as backup, at least not mounted. I do keep one in the bag, on the boat.

No I am not okay with hydraulic steering or servo steering. In aviation similar equipment is maintained by professional mechanics and inspection processes that are indeed robust and there are generally dual systems and work arounds for the pilot in the case of failure. When automobiles are maintained to the same stringent levels including annual inspections and tear downs and overhaul/replacement schedules and dual systems then I would be more okay with it. Farm equipment, however, they are generally traveling at slow speed and we are supposed to give them a wide birth, just most people do not know why, you and I do :wink:.

N

Guys like to confuse issues... Servo and hydraulics used in these systems are not wireless... I believe more of the issues here is with wireless transmitters inability to reliably sync...

IMO not only sync but preform reliably, consistently at all. I get how nice it is to have all this info in one place I just don't see the cost benefit ratio. I encourage everyone to dive as they wish because that's what I do.

Many rec divers posted they use both routinely which helps make my point. You don't, you do however seem to be the exception not the rule. I have no trouble with new technologies that's how I make my living, assembling and testing high tech data storage for the world leader in data storage and security. My experience with failures is extensive. These cheap components made on the other side of the world to store data and communicate with servers are the same cheap components made in the same place by the same people. The systems we build are backup to the max because of those cheap components. I just don't warm up to using unreliable devices on my underwater adventures. I use back up gear for solo diving all the time, I don't expect to ever need to use any of it however.
So what you're saying is many or most electronic components made over seas are not as reliable and great as they may seem - In other words not all electronics are created equal.
What if there were electronics made (wherever in the world that may be) that were as good as they could possibly get, the best materials, best workmanship, best designs, the best of everything, would they be as trustworthy or more trustworthy that any analog system. Or at least trustworthy enough to be considered 99.9999% which would be way within the failure tolerance acceptability.

When the ability to do so arrives, yes. I also think there will be, as in airliners, backups.

With the strides in technology giving birth to such things as traction control, ABS, electronic fuel injection etc I don't think electronic steering is that far off.

And it all has back up and over rides. How about a car without over ride driving itself at 70mph with you in it?

It still ain't wireless.... And they left in the backup... Read the whole article

"If Infiniti ever has the guts to go for the lobotomy and strip out the mechanical steering system (it left it in there as a backup), it could cut the car’s weight and boost fuel economy."

Read the whole article, the "backup" will probably be removed soon. Whatever soon means.
It still ain't wireless.... And they left in the backup... Read the whole article

"If Infiniti ever has the guts to go for the lobotomy and strip out the mechanical steering system (it left it in there as a backup), it could cut the car’s weight and boost fuel economy."

Probably and soon... Two very variable words... The article was posted as proof that non backup steer by wire is here today... It isn't

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom