Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not get that perception in the thread. Very few of the participants in this thread are "tech-trained/inclined." I am not going to go through the entire thread to sort this out, but I am having trouble remembering a lot of talk from those fitting this description for going AI with an SPG backup on recreational dives. Pete specifically said that he does not carry a backup to his AI on recreational dives. I certainly never said anything of the sort. Which "tech-trained/inclined" divers were advocating this for recreational dives?
The gist I got was that the majority of divers feel that if a transmitter still needs a mechanical backup then why waste your money.

The gist I got was that the majority of divers feel that if a transmitter still needs a mechanical backup then why waste your money.
Your gist hasn't synced with reality yet. :D

Your gist hasn't synced with reality yet. :D

Like Pete, I wonder where you got that gist. I believe some people have said that, but I don't think it is a consensus by any means, and I don't see that argument coming so much from the "tech-trained/inclined" divers when speaking of recreational dives.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

I may go so far as to agree with what I take to be Kevrumbo's main idea (although I am not sure). If I am doing a single-tank recreational dive, my experience and knowledge of my air consumption rate tells me that I should have plenty of gas for the planned dive. (If not, I change my plans.) I therefore only need to make occasional checks of my SPG to confirm that things are going as expected. That is probably the main reason I don't feel the need for readily-available detailed gas usage data from an AI computer during such a dive. But I have nothing against those who want that. If I were to use an AI computer instead of the SPG, I would not feel any need for a backup. If I were to glance at it and realize it had somehow stopped working, I would feel annoyed and casually end the dive. I believe those who tell me that would be a rare occasion, so I don't see anything wrong with using them if you like them.

Why waste your money on a primary light if you're going to carry a backup?

While some may have those opinions, they are not universal.

I have yet to experience a reliability issue. Others have had the same experience as I have.
I do not use a spg backup, others see value in using an spg as a backup.
The cost has more to do with perceived value. For some the value is not only the convenience during the dive but also in logging their gas consumption. It may also be that there is value in using a technology. Others may consider the convenience as having less value than I.

When it comes right down to it, if it isn't outright dangerous, ( I think we can agree that for the type of diving I do AI isn't dangerous) then personal preference is the answer.

Not sure if you read the entire thread but it's a couple of points that must be taken into consideration together and not apart...

1. It's people's options that wireless AI has reliability issues
2. This causes most to dive with an spg backup
3. The cost for wireless AI is high

Taking these 3 into consideration many people do not see the need to invest EXTRA in a technology that you probably need to backup Whiles getting marginally better convenience as opposed to traditional spg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most advanced divers, at least in Europe, have quite often a deco gas that is very different from the main gas. I have a friend that runs his tanks with multiple transmitters. Quite a lot of additional risks of getting something not working, or settings/sync wrong . :)

Most advanced divers, at least in Europe, have quite often a deco gas that is very different from the main gas. I have a friend that runs his tanks with multiple transmitters. Quite a lot of additional risks of getting something not working, or settings/sync wrong . :)

Yes, there is a difference in technical dives with multiple tanks. I believe this thread is focused on recreational, single-tank diving.

Having a redundant spg setup is just a good idea...not a waste of money. Having a wireless AI setup seems to promote having a redundant spg.

I don't change the hose every 5 years just when it looks tired. The O ring/valve at the gauge gets changed every 5 years and/or when I change the hose. I change the tires, brakes, oil and such on my car too. Why are you still using a hose? If a piece of gear that gives me 15 years of zero issues I wouldn't feel the need to back it up.

Sorry if I was not clearer. My 15yr. old Suunto Cobra is a hosed AI computer. Another poster dives the same computer with a hosed SPG as a backup. I don't use an SPG backup. Not sure how common it is to backup a hosed computer in the rec world.

My hose leaks were at the connection point from the rubber hose to the metal fitting.

After 15 yrs. of good use, I want to spoil myself with a new dive computer. Contemplating AI hoseless.

Back
Top Bottom