The curious case of AI. Do you use a back up SPG while using AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amado_sarhan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi !

So in the past 4 years I've I started to come out of the "old ways" and try new gear and it has been paying off. Now it's the air pressure's turn and I was wondering what divers, especially technical, think in general about the new Air Integration Technology (AI). I know it's not treally "new". Anyway, I still use a 20 year old well maintained Seavue SPG that my father handed down to me (and then he went on to buy a shiny new Apeks SPG:mad:) . On a rec dive trip a month ago, a friend lent me her computer and transmitter and I experienced AI for the fist time (and she had to dive with my Petrel 1 :D). It took me a while to remember that I can actually look at the computer to know how much gas is left... and later I was constantly paranoid and kept comparing the SPG with the transmitter every 2 minutes before I got used to it.

So I am throwing this question out there now that I am seriously thinking about getting AI: Which of the three divers are you ?

(both tec and rec divers welcome to answer!)

1. You only use AI.
2. You use AI backed up with an SPG.
3. To hell with AI.

If you can also mention why, that would be great!

Cheers

I think this can of worms has been opened many many times. Check the forums history and you will see tons of arguments with pros and cons for both.

This is like asking what is better Chevy of Ford. Everyone will have there own very strong opinions on the subject.

Only you can answer that question for yourself based on your needs, diving style, equipment setup, and dive planning.

I see! I had a look around thinking this can't have possibly not been discussed. But I couldn't find any. I see that you do deco, I'd be interested to know, if you're happy to share, whether you use AI :)

Yes.
I used both for a decade or so, then my Suunto died and I picked up a non-AI Mares. Meh, AI is convenient but hardly critical. Switched to an Eon Core a few weeks ago (I’m getting old, I need reading glasses, but a larger screen, colour, means I can put off lenses in my mask a little longer).
I’ve had a couple of issues with the AI dropping out mid dive (for a few moments) and one occasion when it would not connect after a surface interval for a second dive. Rather than hold up the show, I just went in on SPG. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes.
I used both for a decade or so, then my Suunto died and I picked up a non-AI Mares. Meh, AI is convenient but hardly critical. Switched to an Eon Core a few weeks ago (I’m getting old, I need reading glasses, but a larger screen, colour, means I can put off lenses in my mask a little longer).
I’ve had a couple of issues with the AI dropping out mid dive (for a few moments) and one occasion when it would not connect after a surface interval for a second dive. Rather than hold up the show, I just went in on SPG. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I see! I wonder, in terms of accuracy and reliability, if all transmitters are created equal. I see that some use different radio frequencies and Garmin uses sonar technology. Thanks for sharing!

I see! I had a look around thinking this can't have possibly not been discussed. But I couldn't find any. I see that you do deco, I'd be interested to know, if you're happy to share, whether you use AI :)

Yup I am a believer in transmitters. And I am one of those that does not run SPG’s I have one on my O2 side and one on my dil side (bash on me all you want but for me it works, if it does not work for you great, so what we have a difference of opinion) My theory is if your out of gas your out of gas not like a SPG is going to do anything for you or give you more gas. Yes you could say it will warn you that your getting low but my question is why did you end up in a situation like that to begin with. Plan your gas accordingly on surface be for you go diving, you should never be in a situation where your low on gas. Secondly if your transmitter does fail so what, like I said you should never be in a situation where you run low on gas. But lets say your piss poor at planning and your transmitter craps out and you run out of gas. Ok so what… Just plug in an off board and that’s it. Not like it’s the end of the world. Additionally I have trialed the MH8A/Shearwater transmitters for a while and never had an issue. I even took 2 of the older MH8A ones to 180m (I never actually realized the depth rating on them is only 150m) never flooded. Since I have upgraded to the SWIFT’s

Love the new Petrel 3 with AI, I remember years ago when the Perdix first came out with transmitter capability and I was thinking how cool would it be if you could get your transmitter read out on a hardwired Petrel.

What about get connected to the divers you're guiding? What do you think of that, to be able to read out their levels?
In the poolbusiness everything goes to bluetooth connecting and wifi, but this also comes with a lot of troubles. Takes a lot of time to convince people it's not that stable as wired connections.

I've removed by backup SPG from my kit and keep it in the bag on the boat. I have one SWIFT transmitter and two Shearwater computers, a primary and a backup up.

This topic has been hashed, re-hashed, re-re-hashed ad nauseam.

Start here for some additional reading:

I only use a transmitter - no spgs at all.

Yup I am a believer in transmitters. And I am one of those that does not run SPG’s I have one on my O2 side and one on my dil side (bash on me all you want but for me it works, if it does not work for you great, so what we have a difference of opinion) My theory is if your out of gas your out of gas not like a SPG is going to do anything for you or give you more gas. Yes you could say it will warn you that your getting low but my question is why did you end up in a situation like that to begin with. Plan your gas accordingly on surface be for you go diving, you should never be in a situation where your low on gas. Secondly if your transmitter does fail so what, like I said you should never be in a situation where you run low on gas. But lets say your piss poor at planning and your transmitter craps out and you run out of gas. Ok so what… Just plug in an off board and that’s it. Not like it’s the end of the world. Additionally I have trialed the MH8A/Shearwater transmitters for a while and never had an issue. I even took 2 of the older MH8A ones to 180m (I never actually realized the depth rating on them is only 150m) never flooded. Since I have upgraded to the SWIFT’s

Love the new Petrel 3 with AI, I remember years ago when the Perdix first came out with transmitter capability and I was thinking how cool would it be if you could get your transmitter read out on a hardwired Petrel.
One for diluent and one for o2! That's very interesting! If it works for you, it works for you. I am actually interested in Petrel 3!

On the point of transmitters failing, I didn't even mention it in my initial post because I agree that that's not a valid point against AI. I've seen my share of failed SPGs, one very recently and it was not a pleasant situation. Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom