SPG with AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVS

Contributor
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a like-new Oceanic Atom 3.1 and transmitter, which looks like they've never even been used. Tested the air integration out on a tank at my local dive shop, and it seems to work fine. My wife and I will be further checking out all our scuba equipment in their pool prior to upcoming trips to Cozumel & Bayahibe.

I still feel like I need to have my SPG with me as a back up. (It's just an Oceanic swiv, no console)

Am I overdoing it, or is the redundancy standard-operating-procedure?

I run a backup spg on a hose. for the most part I have had no real issue with my AI other than a mix up my dive buddy (wife) and I had unknowing swapped reg sets so If we moved far enough apart we would lose signal. Had to abort the dive (lake dive no real issue) to figure it out . Always a good feeling to have a redundant.

I still feel like I need to have my SPG with me as a back up. (It's just an Oceanic swiv, no console)

Am I overdoing it, or is the redundancy standard-operating-procedure?
No. You are not overdoing it. Redundancy is great.
I would use the analog SPG as main, and let the AI computer act as a backup with warnings.

Another vote for keeping the SPG on your dives. As @Subcooled said, redundancy is a good thing
An SPG is a visual reference that your gas planning is working. Do you believe in the absence of AI, a diver should use two SPGs? If so, by all means keep encouraging this. That said, an SPG spool or hose is more likely to fail than a transmitter.

Do you use two SPGs at present?

(Judging from past discussions, the PPS/Shearwater/Oceanic transmitters are widely regarded as being more reliable and more accurate than analog SPGs.)

I try to be a minimalist to a certain degree. (Light travel BC, integrated 2nd air, wrist computer, mask, fins, camera. So my initial idea was to try out the transmitter on my (likely six or so) dives in Cozumel, and if it seems to be reliable, just have the spg in the gear bag as back-up (with my old Oceanic Geo) for future dives, as grantctobin recommended. But I had the spg when I had the Geo with no AI, so it's not like it's a nuisance.

For the first few years of having an AI computer (Shearwater Perdix) I kept my SPG as a backup. After many, many dives with zero issues, I've ditched the SPG. I do keep one in my bag on the boat just in case, but I no longer dive with a backup SPG on my reg.

An SPG is a visual reference that your gas planning is working. Do you believe in the absence of AI, a diver should use two SPGs? If so, by all means keep encouraging this. That said, an SPG spool or hose is more likely to fail than a transmitter.
Ridiculous.

I have witnessed any number of transmitter failures over the years, from outright crap-outs; blown OPVs; early stage interferences from other divers -- as well as from even flash photography, at one time; and quite a few simply sheared off during rough handling by various crew.

None of the commercial diving firms for which I had worked, over the last twenty years would allow their use, without full mechanical redundancy -- and I would endorse that particular safety practice of industry over the varying tastes of dilettantes; dive shop shills on commission; and / or weekend warriors.

Of SPGs, I've only seen occasional leaks solved by a fifty cent spool or an HP hose failure upon pressurization; and even the transmitter and computer manufacturers were all-too quick to note their real limitations (which they weren't doing for their health) and encourage SPG use, if not occasional recalls:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 12.56.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 12.56.33 PM.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.05.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.05.57 PM.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.32.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.32.05 PM.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 49
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back