Spg backup to transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba fryd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
backup spg to transmitter

Hey just to sum it up i am a pretty experienced diver And i am just starting to dive sidemount and i have ordered the perdix 2 and 2 swift transmitters but i was thinking about if i could swap the spg with the transmitter that way i don't have a annoying bulge in my arm pit. But are they relayabel enough to do so or should I have a back up i have also thought about just getting a Button spg that what i have just a little back up. In my owd i was told always yo have a back up but that what 5 years ago my i changed?

I think Natalie Gibb makes a compelling argument.

There are numerous threads on this.
Personal choice based on risk aversion.
Transmitters got a bad rap some years ago, but that was for certain brands. The PPS MH8A for Oceanic, AquaLung, Shearwater, etc. are probably more reliable than an SPG.

I use two PPS on my SM regs and no analog gauges at all. Works very well and no issues at all.

You can add button spg directly to first stages for redundancy.

You can add button spg directly to first stages for redundancy.
What does that give you? If the transmitter fails, you're turning the dive anyway. It's not like you're going to continue penetrating / diving and using a button SPG to calculate turn...

What does that give you? If the transmitter fails, you're turning the dive anyway. It's not like you're going to continue penetrating / diving and using a button SPG to calculate turn...
I have had one SPG failure, where I had to turned the dive.

I have had one transmitter failure, I continued the dive with the button. It really isn't that hard to use a button in side mount(it's almost as easy as an SPG), but I wouldn't have continued if penetration was involved.

I'm getting ready to start cave diving soon, I'll probably remove the buttons for that, and may have to switch back to SPG's if my instructor prefers.

I don’t advice that and agree with the point if any device fails that indicates my tank pressure regardless of their shape, form or working principles I call the dive.

However that doesn’t necessarily mean someone can’t have SPG and transmitter combined. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I don’t advice that and agree with the point if any device fails that indicates my tank pressure regardless of their shape, form or working principles I call the dive.

However that doesn’t necessarily mean someone can’t have SPG and transmitter combined. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

We all seem to be in agreement that we are not going to continue the dive should a transmitter fail regardless of whether or not you have an spg.

If you are in fact going to call the dive when something fails, why add additional failure points?

ETA: I don't have transmitters but I am not opposed to using them (sans SPGs.)

We all seem to be in agreement that we are not going to continue the dive should a transmitter fail regardless of whether or not you have an spg.

If you are in fact going to call the dive when something fails, why add additional failure points?

ETA: I don't have transmitters but I am not opposed to using them (sans SPGs.)

Wait, what? I don't agree with that at all.

Assuming that you can see your button gague (i.e. sidemount), if your transmitter fails, you are now diving with an SPG. Are SPGs no longer an acceptable way of monitoring tank pressure? Or are you saying that button SPGs are not good enough? I don't that data, but they have less failure points than a standard SPG (no hose or swivel).

I mean, I understand why people find WAI convenient, but it's not like it's no longer safe to dive without it.

My comment about "all agreeing" was based off of grant and rayK saying they would turn the dive if penetration was involved.

I could edit it but I'll let it stand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom