Spg back up to transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba fryd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
backup spg to transmitter

Hey just to sum it up i am a pretty experienced diver And i am just starting to dive sidemount and i have ordered the perdix 2 and 2 swift transmitters but i was thinking about if i could swap the spg with the transmitter that way i don't have a annoying bulge in my arm pit. But are they relayabel enough to do so or should I have a back up i have also thought about just getting a Button spg that what i have just a little back up. In my owd i was told always yo have a back up but that what 5 years ago my i changed?

Just the transmitter, no backup. If you lose the signal/batter dies etc, it's the same as if you lost an SPG on a standard config and turn the dive.

annoying bulge where?

backup spg to transmitter

Hey just to sum it up i am a pretty experienced diver And i am just starting to dive sidemount and i have ordered the perdix 2 and 2 swift transmitters but i was thinking about if i could swap the spg with the transmitter that way i don't have a annoying bulge in my arm pit. But are they relayabel enough to do so or should I have a back up i have also thought about just getting a Button spg that what i have just a little back up. In my owd i was told always yo have a back up but that what 5 years ago my i changed?
For the transmitters you mentioned, I'd say they are most likely reliable enough. I don't use the Swift, but have several PPS transmitters and I've found them to be very reliable. I keep an SPG or two nearby in my save a dive kit, but don't have it mounted on my regulator as I've found the transmitters to be very reliable. As long as you change the battery on a regular basis, you should be good. I change the batteries on mine annually, even though I know I could probably stretch to 2 or even 3 years. The batteries and o-rings are cheap enough that it's not a problem to change more often than needed.

Too many unknown variables to give you a definitive opinion. It may depend on how you dive, where you dive, conditions you may encounter, and what type of diving and gas planning you use. Contemporary computers have greatly improved in reliability over the early examples but like anything, it can be damaged or malfunction but so can a SPG. I use one transmitter and two computers but I still mount a SPG.

Available information has a way of reducing stress and if you push your air consumption or you find yourself in an area where a straight return to the surface is not possible or advisable, having an SPG may alleviate the added anxiety of an equipment failure. The thing about a failure, you generally don’t get to decide when it may occur. Air consumption can easily double or triple depending upon unforeseen circumstances so having that information may be beneficial. Short of a catastrophic air loss, I don’t need to turn dives as I have enough redundancy to complete the dive plan safely should a piece of equipment fail.

I have used button SPGs on deco cylinders but they are not the best option for main cylinders. Again, this all centers on what you want and how you dive. Some folks use backup SPGs and some don’t and neither are wrong in their justification for doing so but your choice on equipment should be made on what you want and are comfortable with using.

Back
Top Bottom