The curious case of AI. Do you use a back up SPG while using AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about get connected to the divers you're guiding? What do you think of that, to be able to read out their levels?
In the poolbusiness everything goes to bluetooth connecting and wifi, but this also comes with a lot of troubles. Takes a lot of time to convince people it's not that stable as wired connections.
I do not instruct or guide anymore. But that's an interesting question. I can only talk about myself, if I was guiding or teaching I would expect the student/diver to monitor their SPG and report at pre-agreed levels or when I ask for it. I would not be constantly monitoring their air pressure levels.

I agree, I myself am still skeptical and that's why I was asking the community :D

Thanks for sharing!

I've removed by backup SPG from my kit and keep it in the bag on the boat. I have one SWIFT transmitter and two Shearwater computers, a primary and a backup up.

This topic has been hashed, re-hashed, re-re-hashed ad nauseam.

Start here for some additional reading:

I see. The more replies I see like yours, the more I feel that I just came out from the 80s :D

I'll go through the links you shared. Thanks for sharing!

Never ran an SPG ecxcept for the one on the rent-o-crap rig I had for my OW "training".

Run dual xmitters to a SW NERD on second and a Perdix on R wrist (that was a habit when I was wearing a Teric as my dive trip watch no the left, but it's remained.

Only AI on O2 and main 2 diluents; only SPG on other mixes / stages that I am not planning to use except for BO

Two transmitters for sidemount OC cave diving, one on each tank, both going to a Perdix on each arm. For CCR, I have one in O2 and one on dil. BO has SPG. On CCR, both transmitters go to Perdix on right arm. It was already set up for transmitters from OC diving. Even though my CCR came with a Petrel 3, I never bothered to set the AI up. I prefer having transmitters on my backup computer.

Button gauge on O2 bottle
SPG on stage bottles.

Here's a good writeup on the subject,

Personally I only use Transmitters, specifically 3, 2 for sidemount bottles and 1 for o2 bottle (sidewinder). I have had a transmitter fail, once, in a cave. The OPV blew, shearwater replaced in free of charge in 5 days including shipping.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom