New computer AI dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies, it gives me a much better understanding of the whole concept.

As i am not a frequent diver (about 30 dives a year), guess it will all come down to me being prepared to put 1000 usd for a computer...

Should i take some other options in consideration? difference between 1000 USD and (for example) 1300 USD is much less then 500 vs. 1000:)

Thank you!

Convenience in logging sac rate is a big factor for me; having tank pressure on the computer screen is also nice but not a deal breaker as long as you are just monitoring one tank.

Thanks for all the replies, it gives me a much better understanding of the whole concept.

As i am not a frequent diver (about 30 dives a year), guess it will all come down to me being prepared to put 1000 usd for a computer...

Should i take some other options in consideration? difference between 1000 USD and (for example) 1300 USD is much less then 500 vs. 1000:)

Thank you!
As someone else mentioned, it is NOT an all-or-nothing proposition.

A Peregrine TX or Tern TX is marginally more expensive than their non-ai brethren ($125-150). Nobody says you must use a transmitter with them. It future proofs them a lot: someday when you come across a screaming hot deal on a transmitter, you can pop for it if you want it. It will also enhance the chances of reselling it down the road.

To that point, it seems to me that a lot of folks right now are dumping perfectly good Peregrines on the used market in favor of a new Peregrine TX. That might be an option. Their value dropped significantly with the intro of the AI model. They're going cheap.

Me, personally, I'd not go anywhere near a non-AI unit except for a backup, maybe.

Thank you!
It's always tempting to buy the less expensive item, but will it save you money in the long run?

Unless you are going into tech diving, anything else, like the Perdix, is going to be overkill. As long as you're doing recreational diving only, the Peregrine line is all you'll need, but I do recommend the TX even if you don't get the transmitter with it. As @ohmymyohhellyes said, it future proofs you. But if you do want to go into tech in the future, then the Perdix would be a more viable option, and again, even if you opt to not get the transmitter at time of purchase. And as someone has already said earlier in this thread, the Peregrine TX has a built in compass, which the Peregrine does not. Therefore you can eliminate the compass you carry on your wrist with the TX.

Here is what I did. A few years ago, I came across a really good deal on a used Oceanic OCi computer complete with the transmitter. I had already started looking at the Shearwater line but just couldn't spend that much money on one of them at the time. The Peregrine had just come out but it was non-AI. Knowing that the transmitter that came with the Oceanic would work with the Shearwaters, I bought it and dove it while still considering the Perdix. When the Peregrine TX was announced in May of this year, it was just before the Scubaboard Invasion to Bonaire and knowing a Shearwater rep was going to be there, i was hoping they would have one of the TX's to try, which she did. I was able to try it out for a few dives and, as I said earlier in this thread, I bought one for me and one for my wife. I actually ordered them before we left Bonaire. I liked it that much. So now since both the Shearwater and the Oceanic use the same transmitter, I can use the OCi as a back-up. I just stick it in my pocket just in the event it is needed. You might want to think about doing this as well. You might be able to find one with the transmitter for around $500.00 or maybe less. If so, I would recommend the Oceanic line of AI computers. They have a dual algorithm, one rather liberal (DSAT) and one that is a little more conservative (Z+) but not as much as some like the economy line of Suuntos.

First and foremost, shearwater is the brand most relied on and recommended in almost any conversation about dive computers, by far! i swear by them and would be hard pressed to find a reason not to, other than I am a tight wad and hate spending money.
As far as AI is concerned, everyone has already listed the pro's repeatedly. Much more accurate records, pressure checks, SAC rates, etc.
there is only one true down fall, and that is ensuring that your battery is always good. throw a spare in your save a dive kit and you should never have an issue. The batteries do seem to last a long time, just the same as the ones in the computers do.
I have never met anyone in their right mind that said they regretted using AI.

Thank you!
Another thought if you are price sensitive: check the used market. Because Shearwater has such stunningly good support used pricing does tend to be high, but good deals on well taken care of gear do exist.

But... if you are only doing 30 dives a year, now I'm not sure a Shearwater makes sense. You started the thread with Shearwater in mind, and I'm fairly certain we all figured "yep, the OP did their research!" But if you're price sensitive AND only logging 30 dives a year, I might suggesting forging AI entirely. If that's the case, a Cressi Leonardo or Suunto ZOOP plus a decent SPG is WAY more economic.

Thank you!
I’d suggest to buy the Shearwater Peregrine Tx, a transmitter a bit later if need be. Buy once, cry once. It could be the last computer you’ll ever need for rec diving. Really you can’t go wrong-they are superb for battery life, reliability, support, simplicity, visibility, intuitiveness, customizability, ease of use, resale value and demand. They have dedicated “fan boy” support for a reason.

there is only one true down fall, and that is ensuring that your battery is always good. throw a spare in your save a dive kit and you should never have an issue. The batteries do seem to last a long time, just the same as the ones in the computers do.
Actually, the Peregrine TX, and I'm assuming that the other Shearwater AI computers, will warn you when the transmitter battery is getting low. According to the manual, it will give you a yellow warning when it should be replaced soon, then if you ignore that, it will give you a red warning that it should be replaced immediately. If you let it go completely dead, looks like that's a you problem..

Yo
Actually, the Peregrine TX, and I'm assuming that the other Shearwater AI computers, will warn you when the transmitter battery is getting low. According to the manual, it will give you a yellow warning when it should be replaced soon, then if you ignore that, it will give you a red warning that it should be replaced immediately. If you let it go completely dead, looks like that's a you problem..
U are correct, I was talking about pulling it out of your gear bag and setting up, not during the dive.
Which would still be a you problem, for not checking equipment as you pack...

Yo
U are correct, I was talking about pulling it out of your gear bag and setting up, not during the dive.
Which would still be a you problem, for not checking equipment as you pack...
To check the transmitter and its battery, you have to pressurize it. Not everyone has tank at home. Good reason to have one!

Back
Top Bottom