DIR- Generic SPG dir requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you need to be thinking about is how that proprietary Suunto algorithm is going to work in conjunction with the computers of your team mates. I'm thinking not well.
Is there something wrong with the suunto algorithm? In general.
I was planning on doing base cave diving like sinkhole with limited penetration.

Eh…if you have a tool, use it. If the computer spits out something different than what you expect, you should investigate why and make an educated choice on if to follow it or not.
True, but when you plan a team dive it's best to follow the plan and not your personal computer. Different brands of computers can spit out very different deco schedules. Having said that, I do use my computer a an aid during deco. Always nice to have more information.

Is there something wrong with the suunto algorithm? In general.
I was planning on doing base cave diving like sinkhole with limited penetration.
The Suunto algorithm is proprietary and changes the schedule based on what it thinks you should do. But they won't tell anyone exactly how or why it does that. As a result, some tech instructors will only let you use a Suunto in gauge mode.
You make a plan with your buddies based on tables cut on software that everyone agrees on. Your computer should match that plan.
Your Suunto may decide to say, "screw you, do this," and if you don't, it'll lock you out for 24 hours.
Crap computer for cave or tech diving. And the fact that it's in a console means it was only ever intended for recreational non-overhead diving.
A watch, old-fashioned depth gauge, and tables are better than a Suunto for anything other than recreational diving.

Hi All.

Question from a newbie. Are there specific requirement for what kind of spg we use in cave diving?

I am still a recreational diver, and with my friend ( GUE instructor) we where having a debate about the type of SPG to be used. It all come out because i have actually a air integrated dive computer (Suunto Cobra 3) since I want to transition to side mount, I really wanted to keep the computer, for the following reason:

1) respect Hoghartian principle regarding carrying less equipment since you have a computer and a spg in one.
2) I was thinking about to buy a second one in this way I have a redundant computer, to be placed on the second tank. I can solo dive easily also.
3) Free your wrist for other equipment.
4) researching on internet (no formal training) I could not find any information about strict requirement

Speaking with my sidemount and cave instructor (not my friend another one), He was not thrilled about the idea and he was almost concerned about streamlining and entanglement hazard.

Your Thought :)
Hogarth goes out the window when it comes to balanced sidemount rigs.

Spg should be tiny brass lollipops or AI.

Suunto is also not a tech computer as far as I know. Consoles are a big snag hazard, and are prone to breaking when you bring them into karst environments.

Another fun fact, you’ll likely wind up ditching the reg necklace if you have one. And will probably have some hoses that cross over your “front triangle”.

Different config.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom