Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAUI DIVER:
aloha,

sorry but not full dv quality....its a compressed file using firewire as well as a capture board but worse, looks fine to common joe but broacasters would kick it out.
anyways, just trying to share knowledge. no offense. Now the capture boards are offered with uncompressed output which is perfect. just a note.

aloha

What jimk said...

And as far as broadcasters "kicking it out," i was at EVS in Glendale the other day talking to the DP for a major cable network show...

They shoot it to MiniDV on a Panasonic DVX-100b and capture to FCP using firewire... after editing it goes out that way, broadcast quality. They are looking to upgrade to HD but, as with most, are waiting for the new sony HDV models to come out.

The last analog capture board I had was a DPS Perception that worked quite well, until I needed to upgrade the clients system to WinXP... then i had to figure out a way to reverse engineer the perception video codec so that Premiere would read their bass-ackwards mjpeg implementations.

Anyhow:

On order is a MacPro 3.0 Ghz quad, 2 G Ram with the x1900 graphics cards
FCP 5.1.2, PS, Illustrator, Motion, Compressor, DVDSP. ProTools for sound stuff. i haven't tried my hand too much with shake, but seeing it in action is quite amazing.

Generally I use DVX-100's to film. HD coming soon, I hope.

hi

I just read some off this things you people wrote in this forum.
I also have UW taping and editing as hoby.
My chioce is Premier 2.0 that can edit HDV, and HDV/HC3 sony camera (that is the last version of the equipment) I also have great interest for surface taping and trying to develop a system for that but I have a problem in finding camera eye that has good resolution (minimum dv quality). If you know any camera(just eye) that has composite out and that res.quality. please writte
thank you in advance
Tanja

all of them can capture a shot in full quality(avid, premier /PC, final cut/mac)if you set them right, but it depends on some other parts of computer-to follow the quality. if the main board, graphic card are right and procesor quick enough / and you know what to do with the shot you made, than no TV or UW festival (exept if they realy want imax) will reject that (in DV quality or HDV). The person who sead that when you finish editing you do the transfer to BETA to make TV station happy is also right, but if you do not have BETA recorder you can give them raw avi file (rendered) and they will know what to do with the file (in worst scenario case). And you can check this all, just look at UW film festival rules (Antibes, Moscow, Belgrade, Barcelona....any of them / there is A production and B production category. A production is always just BBC, ORF (big teams work) and hollywood movies with UW contekst like Bizmark (Cameron). B category is the interesting one with fresh and new ideas, and that are the movies made from independant production and all other people involved with UW taping. What do you do with all that movies / do you show them to somebody or is it just for family to see the adventure or something else?

all best

Hey Everyone, here's my system. It works really well for me. It's definitely time for a new desk though :)

Specs:
Apple MacPro Quad Xeon 3.0
8GB Fully Buffered RAM
2TB of storage internally
2.5TB of storage xternally
ATI Radeon X1900 512MB
Dual 20" Apple Cinema Displays
Black Magic Design DeckLink HD Pro PCIe™ Capture Card 4:4:4 uncompressed
And a few other small devices that make my life easier.

Programs I Use:
Final Cut Pro (I don't like a lot of the programs in the full studio)
DVD Studio Pro
Apple Shake
Adobe After Effects Pro
Adobe Photoshop
Peak DV
Avid XPress Pro
Avid Adrenaline
+ a bunch more odds and ends programs :)

EditingSetup.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacPro.jpg

I'm just about to buy my first DV housing and I'm pretty stoked. I've been doing the still thing for a little while and am ready step it up a bit. A lot of you have really great systems. BluesBro1982 good luck with your new mac, PC guys, sorry you've gor PC's

Billy

I just got a Sony HC-7, which is high-def. I'd like to be able to cut what I record and add music. What's going to be my best bets, and is this going to require a very sophisticated system?

I don't need to produce professional quality films, but I would like to maintain the high definition quality.

I'm looking at Vegas Movie Studio +DVD 7 Plat Edition (LB). Is this the right direction for me, and will a decent quality late model home cpu going to be able to power it?

Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0....AWESOME and doesn't bog down your system like Pinnacle Studio does!!

Empty V:
Hey Everyone, here's my system. It works really well for me. It's definitely time for a new desk though :)

Nice looking setup. Is that an HVX? Looks like you've got some DVXUser batteries on it too. :)

Empty V:
PC guys, sorry you've got PC's

Don't be. I greatly prefer my PC.

PerroneFord:
Nice looking setup. Is that an HVX? Looks like you've got some DVXUser batteries on it too. :)

Don't be. I greatly prefer my PC.

It is in fact my old school DVX100, and the batteries are some of the 5400mAh batteries I got off of ebay for $24.99 a piece. The perform perfectly too.

I wanted to show off my newest tool. I'm too lazy to take a pic of it so here's a pic of the manufacturer's website.

Intuos9x12_a_slot.jpg

I tried using one of these before and fell in love with it. The working area of this one is fairly large 9"x12". If you're running dual screens it helps to have one that big. Definitely not for everyone and it takes some getting used to. It also comes with a mouse that you use directly on the tablet. I gotta say it sure is a lot more comfortable and natural than any other type of pointing peripheral out there. It's also completely customizable down to the pressure of the pen or eraser on the tablet to the 4 buttons and scroll bars on each side of it. Worth every penny. It's generally used (from what I've seen) in 3D and compositing applications. I've seen one Avid Symphony user utilize this same tablet and he was very proficient. Does anyone else use one of these or used to?

I also just purchased FCP Studio 2 which has a new option that they took from shake that every diver/videographer can use; an image stabilizer. If it is the same one from shake it works very very well and is simple to implement. It reduces camera shake (not the program Shake) a lot more than most OIS's do in camera. Just thought I would mention it.

Billy

Empty V:
I wanted to show off my newest tool. I'm too lazy to take a pic of it so here's a pic of the manufacturer's website.

Billy
We use intuos tablets at work too... they are very nice. I do prefer the smaller size tablets and just map the area to the screen.

When you work 8+ hrs a day doing this you learn to appreciate less arm movement. I'm on a Discreet Smoke at work and use FCP HD at home.

I used to have a large tablet at home a long time ago... It was an ADB tablet too 18 x 12 I believe and didn't enjoy it much in a small desktop area it got in the way most of the time.

I hope you enjoy yours.

BTW, nice set up! My G5 is the first dual cpu G5 and had to rig it to get an internal SATA RAID now you can just pop those drives in like butter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom