Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool. I set my mapping to mouse opposed to pen mode for that same reason. It just seems like such a long stretch on such a big tablet to hit my top corners. Do you use the tablet on the Smoke? I'm a huge fan of Discreet's systems. After talking to a friend who's a Flame Artists I was convinced it's the more ergonomic way to go for almost any app.

I used to have a G5 dual 2.0 until it crapped out on me and was in the shop for 6 weeks. Applecare decided to upgrade me to my present system for free which was pretty nice.

How's using the tablet with FCP? I'm waiting for my Studio 2 to arrive so I can try it out.

Billy

wysmar:
We use intuos tablets at work too... they are very nice. I do prefer the smaller size tablets and just map the area to the screen.

When you work 8+ hrs a day doing this you learn to appreciate less arm movement. I'm on a Discreet Smoke at work and use FCP HD at home.

I used to have a large tablet at home a long time ago... It was an ADB tablet too 18 x 12 I believe and didn't enjoy it much in a small desktop area it got in the way most of the time.

I hope you enjoy yours.

BTW, nice set up! My G5 is the first dual cpu G5 and had to rig it to get an internal SATA RAID now you can just pop those drives in like butter!

intuos works fine with FCS apps but I find myself mostly working with the keyboard and my Contour Designs Shuttle Pro with 15 programmable buttons. I started editing on an upright Moviola and then worked a lot on 3/4" and Beta reel-to-reel and grew to love a jog/shuttle control.

Customizing the interface (shortcut buttons, window arrangements) also helps increase editing efficiency.

Empty V:
Do you use the tablet on the Smoke? I'm a huge fan of Discreet's systems. After talking to a friend who's a Flame Artists I was convinced it's the more ergonomic way to go for almost any app.

I used to have a G5 dual 2.0 until it crapped out on me and was in the shop for 6 weeks. Applecare decided to upgrade me to my present system for free which was pretty nice.

How's using the tablet with FCP? I'm waiting for my Studio 2 to arrive so I can try it out.

Billy
Yes the intuos is on the smoke... I like the smoke for compositing, but I do very little of that. 80% of my work is 30 sec. spots.

For 1/4 of the money I'd much rather buy an all out FCP system.

I don't use the tablet on FCP I prefer the Shuttle Pro as well. It's mainly a space issue since my set up is all contained in a hutch.

You really lucked out on Apple Care... Here in FL (at least when I bought my system) you could not buy Apple Care as an individual, You had to be a business.
My G5 is a dual 1.8 and other than the extra drive bays being inside I don't need much since I'm strickly DV at home.

How loud is your system with all those drives in it? And do you keep it open like we see in the picture? Mine sucks so much dust I wouldn't dare leave it open.

wysmar:
Yes the intuos is on the smoke... I like the smoke for compositing, but I do very little of that. 80% of my work is 30 sec. spots.

For 1/4 of the money I'd much rather buy an all out FCP system.

I don't use the tablet on FCP I prefer the Shuttle Pro as well. It's mainly a space issue since my set up is all contained in a hutch.

You really lucked out on Apple Care... Here in FL (at least when I bought my system) you could not buy Apple Care as an individual, You had to be a business.
My G5 is a dual 1.8 and other than the extra drive bays being inside I don't need much since I'm strickly DV at home.

How loud is your system with all those drives in it? And do you keep it open like we see in the picture? Mine sucks so much dust I wouldn't dare leave it open.

I've been using the ShuttlePro since I started editing, I love that thing! Probably one of the most convenient tools I have purchased thus far.

I've had very good luck with applecare. They replaced the screen on my 15" Titanium Powerbook 3 times and I never even bought applecare for it. Plus it would have been out of the 3 year time period too. That had a lot to do with a design flaw though.

As far as noise, even with 4 500gb drives in it, my mac pro is almost dead silent. I just opened the door for the pic. My G5 was as loud as a banshee and the only time I hear my MacPro's fans is during the initial startup of the computer(which only lasts about 5 seconds). I've got an Avid Xpress Pro editor that's working on a short film for me right now and when I go over there it sounds like a jet engine, and he's on a dual 2.7 liquid cooled G5.

I would love to tryout a smoke system. Every year at NAB I usually spend most of my time in the Autodesk booth watching the demos, such amazing products.

Billy

Okay, I'm sold I need to get a new Power Mac... All that speed and space without the Airplane noise would be great.

The problem is I have more computers than I know what to do with. I still have and old clone in full working conditions just sitting there it has a G3 upgrade card.

I have an old wallstreet powerbook which I don't use beacuse it won't run 10.4 I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu. A G4 ibook which my wife uses all the time and the G5.

None of my computers die, they just get retired from use:wink: so I can't justify the expense or stop diving to afford a new Mac anyway.

The new version of the Smoke is much nicer than what I run (6.5.6)... I think it's called Smoke 2007. But that's nothing compared with the Adrenaline. Did you see their demo at NAB?

They came to Miami and did a workshop on the Adrenaline. My jaw still hasn't healed from how hard it hit the floor! :11:

Wys

wysmar:
Okay, I'm sold I need to get a new Power Mac... All that speed and space without the Airplane noise would be great.

The problem is I have more computers than I know what to do with. I still have and old clone in full working conditions just sitting there it has a G3 upgrade card.

I have an old wallstreet powerbook which I don't use beacuse it won't run 10.4 I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu. A G4 ibook which my wife uses all the time and the G5.

None of my computers die, they just get retired from use:wink: so I can't justify the expense or stop diving to afford a new Mac anyway.

The new version of the Smoke is much nicer than what I run (6.5.6)... I think it's called Smoke 2007. But that's nothing compared with the Adrenaline. Did you see their demo at NAB?

They came to Miami and did a workshop on the Adrenaline. My jaw still hasn't healed from how hard it hit the floor! :11:

Wys

I usually work on an adrenaline but it's definitely not the newest system. Super powerful but old and the GUI is so unattractive. I'm sure they've beefed it up a lot. I usually don't venture towards the Avid booth at NAB because Autodesk is so hard to get away from. I can't get enough of the flame demos. I brought a friend who's not a film/video guy this year and he felt like he was hypnotized while in their booth.

I gotta say the new MacPro's are so far ahead from the G5's, the drive system is so easy and logical. It took a whole 5 minutes to install my new drives. I think you can get up to 4x750gb drives in the tower but having a single drive of that size scares me. I bought 500gb seagate drives off of ebay for $130/ea., not a bad deal. Normally I wouldn't do that but I called seagate and verified that the company is an authorized dealer. Not like www.bestpricecameras.com who sell gutted camera bodys to uneducated consumers and also operate under over 30 different business names. Sorry, went off on a tangent.

I think my next mac purchase will be a Mac Mini for my new wife. I hate having multiple users on my MacPro. Just one more thing that can slow it down.

Billy

I made a mistake in my last post, I called Autodesk's newest system "Adrenaline" the demo was for Fire & Toxik these names are getting out of hand!

Sorry for the confusion.

I also built my RAID from SEGATE drives off of ebay NIB. At the time the biggest were 120's how sad!:(

Mac
Avid Media Composer/Express DV/Free DV
FCP
Sony Beta SX/Beta/DV. Love DV!
Amphibico housing (DV)

Empty V:
I think my next mac purchase will be a Mac Mini for my new wife. I hate having multiple users on my MacPro. Just one more thing that can slow it down.

Billy

Don't give her admin access and make sure she doesn't install any daemons :) Symlink her ~/users folder to a thumb drive and you should be good to go without any adverse effects!

Well, other than sleeping on the couch for a few weeks...

You think I'd give her any kind of privileges that could harm this sensitive beast? Yeah right. Anything that impedes the startup adversely affects the speed of everything else. With multiple accounts I don't get to see the wonder that is the amazingly quick almost 10 sec startup of my baby(the computer). It's a lot easier if I can just completely delete the account and not have to worry about it.

Have fun in La Jolla, I'll be at San Miguel! Woo Hoo!

Billy

bluesbro1982:
Don't give her admin access and make sure she doesn't install any daemons :) Symlink her ~/users folder to a thumb drive and you should be good to go without any adverse effects!

Well, other than sleeping on the couch for a few weeks...

Back
Top Bottom