Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not doing underwater photo- or videography, but I can vouche for Adobe Premiere. Its got the feel of good old fashion tape mixing boards and has a lot of nice features.. Very, very handy tool (which btw I need to install on my new computer)

I have a general tip for everyone, no matter what software you use. Always make backups of your project files, preferably on more than one hard drive, or on a removable disk or flash drive. You can always recapture the video, but those time-consuming edits are no fun to do over again if your project file gets corrupted or your hard drive dies.

I started off with an Apple G4 and Final Cut Pro through FCP4 then started simplifying. Anymore all I use is an Apple Titanium Laptop and I-movie as I can make a movie and post it right to Youtube, etc., right from the boat. It really doesn't take a lot to do video anymore, and to my mind, the more simple you can keep it, the better.

My movies at: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

The underwater ones are generally the "Finding Gold" series, although the "Intracoastal" series will have some too.

Our Production studio uses two HDV wide screen cameras
1. a SONY HVR-ZiU for topside footage
2. a Sony HVR-A1U for underwater
3. A Gates housing HC1/A1U
4. Nightrider dual lights HID Pro 40

All high definition Production is done with adobe Premier pro CS3, on a Custom built computer.
we edit standard dvds and now offer Blu ray disc of our products

I'm currently using:

Sun Microsystems, SuperMicro, and Vision Server
Dual Qual-Core Clovertown Xeon Processors
6GB Redundant RAM
Redundant 1000v Power Supplies
2TB RAID5 Storage

Running Adobe CS3 Suite, 512MB 256-bit Video Card, 5.1 HD Sound, and Bella Keyboard for Premiere...

A production team of 15 and myself specialize in extreme sports, documentaries, independent films and event coverage.

Hello everyone. :)

Our Production studio uses two HDV wide screen cameras
1. a SONY HVR-ZiU for topside footage
2. a Sony HVR-A1U for underwater
3. A Gates housing HC1/A1U
4. Nightrider dual lights HID Pro 40

All high definition Production is done with adobe Premier pro CS3, on a Custom built computer.
we edit standard dvds and now offer Blu ray disc of our products
You know what, the resemblance is UNCANNY. Sounds like something I would have just typed!

I'm going to be switching to another video capture box and new software because my new system doesn't support my old stuff anymore. I was considering Pinnacle but was wondering what people think of it as opposed to Adobe. I probably will be buying Pinnacle Studio (whatever version is currently out there) but was also thinking about the one of the Adobe products (none of these will be professional quality--thinking in the $100-400 range).

Thanks!

Another option to consider:

Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. It's $129 retail - Amazon has it right now for $89. It supports HDV/AVCHD capture/editing if you're doing/thinking of doing HD and the interface is similar to Vegas Pro 8's. Firewire capture so you don't need another "box" if your camera has a firewire (or USB) port.

From what I've seen of Adobe Elements/Premiere that's not the case with their products.

VMS also does color correction - but I think it's only offered in the Platinum version. And a version of DVD Architect Studio is included.

I used Studio 9.4 a couple years ago and didn't have any problems switching to VMS.

If anyone on here has AVID I fully recommend going office-space on your editing cell and beating it up. Just my two cents! Ha-actually AVID worked great for the most part, but it slowly crashed on me. Changed over to Adobe Premier and am in love!

Especially with underwater footage it's alot easier to do color-correcting on Adobe plus taking away some of the 'shake' factor.

Back to the vent about AVID...really, an external thumbdrive (dongle) is always needed?! Oh, and if you bust this flimsy thing you may as well buy a whole new set up! ...slight frustration with my old set up if you can't tell!

The most entertaining thing I've discovered with premier is how you can "doll-up" a video for someone with the various menu options

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom