Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please post details about your Video Editing System here so others may learn what is available. Also please describe what does and doesn't work well so others may learn what to use.

sjspeck:
Please post details about your Video Editing System here so other's may learn what is available.
I use a Sony VAIO P4, 256MB memory with a 40GB dedicated scratch disk. Currently I'm editing using Pinnacle Studio 9.1 and also learning Adobe Premiere. It's not as fast as I would like, but it's what works for me now as I just started doing video production in August.

..I have been doing event videography and video editing as a side business. Enjoy it a bunch. My system is as follows;

P4 2.4 ghz 533 FSB
Intel 845PE chipset
512 meg ram
60 gig system drive
60 gig video editing drive
120 gig storage drive
Pioneer A05 DVD+R/W burner
Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5 Pro editing softwarewith Break out box for composite video and audio in and out.
Pro page includes a modified ATI AIW8500 AGP video card for real time composite output.

I did use Studeo 8 until last year when I upgraded. Currently only have an analog hi8mm camcorder but hopefully that will change in the future. (Would really like to get a Sony VX2000 or 2100).

Want to do U/W videoing but the housings cost TOO much!!

Jeff

Media 100 LXi Edit system
Boris Red, FX, Griaffiti
Corel 8.0
Adobe Photo shop
Mac. G4 Panther OXS 10.3 80 gig
250 gig external fire wire hard drive
Sony VX1000 cam & Amphibico 1000 housing (UW Capture system)
2 Sony PD 150 cams (Surface capture system)
And a ton of support equipment!!! - 2 DVD master burners, Tower DVD-CD dub system, VHS dub system, copy stand, shotgun mics, wireless mics, tripods,etc., etc., etc.,

I do a lot of corporate level productions and provide a wide range of consumer level
services: (8mm film, slide, and photo transfer, photo memory programs and much more. But, my favorite activity is obviously UW productions.

Barracuda2

Several years ago I got into video editing by way of doing animated presentations for clients of an interactive company I used to work for. I had so much fun, when I left I set myself up with a home system so I could freelance - and have the fringe benefit of getting into underwater video. I am transitioning systems now, but here's a run down of my 2 current systems (one of which shall soon be sold):

Media 100 System:
Mac G4 Dual 800mhz - 1.5 GB RAM;60 GB HD; 34 GB Internal RAID array
Superdrive DVD-R burner
Apple 17" Flat Panel Studio Display/RasterOps 20' VGA Display
ATTO SCSI 3 Card
Medea 130 GB RAID
Media 100 Lossless analoag/DV PCI capture card
Media 100i XS Editing Software version 8.1
Mackey 1602-VLZ Mixing Board
Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS deck
Sony UVW-1800 BetaSP Deck
Sony GA8ES Amplifier
JBL 4208 Studio Monitors
Magni MM-400 Waveform Monitor
Videotek VSG-21 Blackburst generator
2 Sony PV-14M4U HRTrinitron NTSC Monitors
Various graphics programs - After Effect; Photoshop; Combustion; Commotion; etc.

New G5 Final Cut System:
G5 Dual 2.4ghz; 2 GB RAM; Internal SATA 250 GB Maxtor; Second Internal SATA 300 GBMaxtor
Apple 23' Cinema Display/RasterOps 20' VGA Display
Super Drive 8x DVD-R Burner
LacCie Firewire 400 200 Gb
LaCie D2 Extreme Firewire 800 300gb Drive
FinalCut Pro HD Editing Software
Black Magic Design Decklink Extreme PCI SDI/Analog Capture Card (soon to be upgraded to AJA Kons 2 SD/HD Card)
Sony DSR-25 DVCAM Firewire Deck
Sony UVW-1800 BetaSP deck
Sony PVM-14MU Monitor
Harman Kardon Soundsticks and Bass Amp
Various graphics and animation software - Lightwave 7.5 3D Animation/Modeling; Aplle Motion; After Effect; Photoshop; Combustion; Commotion; etc.

Although it may not appear that way looking at the list, the FinalCut system is a much less complex/expensive setup that actually provides everybit of the functionality and quality (and actuaally better quality in some aspects - particulalry when I get my HD card (I will rent HD decks as needed)) of the Media 100 system - hence the change.

You can set up a FinalCut Pro system for a fraction of what the Media 100 system cost to setup at the time. You can also dispense with some of the equipment needed for the Media 100 system, which helps bring costs down too. You can edit DV on a Mac with Firewire and need no capture card if that's all you will cut with - don't even need a deck if you don't mind using your camera as one

nlbford:
- don't even need a deck if you don't mind using your camera as one

The only deck I use is a Sony GV-D 1000. I can either go S-video or firewire out to my Media 100. Also it's a great location device; I'm in the middle of doing a production for a local quarry and after the dive, I can preview the footage on the spot without using my cam as a player and squinting through the view finder, and determine whether I need to recapture scenes or not. very handy.

Barracuda2

I am using MAC Power Books
A G3 and G4, both running Panther OS 10.3x
shooting with a sony d-120 (digital) and an old sony hi8 for analog
Using Final Cut, DVD pro, iMovie 4 and IDVD4
For analog conversion using a firewire (IEEE) box called direct cut
Out putting to both VHS and DVD

Boy, you've all got mine blown away. I only started at it this spring. My 35mm dies and I decided to move into video. Bought a Samsung miniDV camcorder, built a housing from PVC and plexi (which works better than I expected, have a few refinements in mind over the winter). Added a Firewire card to my PC. It's a PIII 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 80gig HD (planning on swapping to a 200 or bigger before Christmas), ATI Radeom 7000 video card and a DVD burner. It's not real fast.

For software, I've got Pinnacle Studio 8 (came with the DVD burner) and Ulead Videostudio 6. I've decided I like the Ulead product better.
The editing goes quickly enough, it plays the clips in real time without dropping frames. It's be nice if exporting the final cut was faster. The really painful part is the final processing and DVD burn. I usually get it ready and start it up in the evening and just let it run overnight.

Athlon XP 1.8G Processor.
512MB RAM
System disk - 40GB (7200 rpm)
Video disk - 80GB RAID array
Backup disk - 40 GB Firewire
4X DVD burner.

Ulead Media Studio Pro.
Adobe Premiere.

It's not a professional setup - but it does the job! :wink:

sjspeck:
Please post details about your Video Editing System here so others may learn what is available.

i dont own one myself, but my school uses them...hopin to edit dive videos in the future iwth them...the tape decks are all mini dv and are connected to the computer with the firewire...we use final cut pro to edit, and livetype and another animation program to make graphics...pretty cool stuff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom