Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do ANY underwater videography, but someone suggested I post here anyway.
I spend about 30 hours per week editing digital video in Premier. I do promos, live events, some TV stuff (commercials, events for local PAX TV, etc.) and whatever. I do some shooting (when in a pinch) on XL1s's, but I'm not very good at it. But I love to cut. I'm also an audio guy/musician, so I spend a lot of hours recording, sequencing, and mixing as well.
Anyway, if anyone has any post questions - video or audio - feel free to PM me any time. If I don't know the answer, I know people that do. And talking to other people who edit is how I learn as well.

Hardware:

HP 2.8GHz P4
1.2GB Ram
NVidia GeForce FX 2000 graphics
560 GB (3) HDDs
DVD+R/RW/CD Writer
Dazzle 150 D/A video converter

Software:

Pinnacle Studio 8
Pinnacle Hollywood FX
ArcSoft Show Biz Wizard
Dazzle "On DVD"
Dazzle "DVD Complete"

Just bought a Dell 8400, and had it built with:
1GB 800Mhz RAM
160GB 10k speed drive
3.2GHZ P4 with HT
Soundblaster Audigy
GeForce Videocard
16x DVD+R
52x CDR

For filming, I use a JVC miniDV, and transfer it via firewire. Just using the Windows Movie Maker, last night I was able to turn about 15 minutes of video into a nice DVD with menus, scenes and transitions in less than an hour...I need better software, but so far I'm pretty impressed.

sjspeck:
Please post details about your Video Editing System here so others may learn what is available. Also please describe what does and doesn't work well so others may learn what to use.

Dell Dimension P4 2.5 Ghz, 512 ram, 80 gb dedicated 2nd hd, DVD + r burner
Vegas Video 3.0 for editing
Ulead Movie Factory for DVD authoring.

Everything works great.

Vegas is extremely stable, easy to use, have no need to change or upgrade.

Ulead Movie Factory does what I need, which is basic DVD authoring.

My Dell has worked like a charm. A faster cpu processor would make rendering faster, but other than that no complaints.

sjspeck:
Please post details about your Video Editing System here so others may learn what is available. Also please describe what does and doesn't work well so others may learn what to use.

I use Pinnacle Studio Plus version 9. Their website is www.pinnaclesys.com. I love it!! We used the system to make a 15 minute video that we showed at our scuba show.

I edit with Vegas 5.0 and love it. It is stable, fast, and powerful. I edit on either a dual processor desktop, or my HP P4 2.0 laptop when I travel. I have edited with Premiere but got tired of the chronic instability. I also like the Vega workflow much better.

Rick

G4 iBook
1.25 Gig RAM
80 gig drive, 200 LaCie external

Before I made the jump to pro-grade editing software, I used Pinnacle version 8 exclusively and loved it.

I've got both Final Cut HD and Avid on my laptop, and making my way around both. I know Avid a bit better, but I'm hoping to learn more about FCP because it's waaaaaay more intuitive and easier to use on every level.

I'm really trying to break into the editor/shooter market this fall and make a real career change, so hopefully my u/w video editing will be a big help!

update have got pinnacle 9 update but not installed yet, have a couple of projects to finish (i dont want them screwed up).

But have just found a good trick to blend in two music tracks. if you load one music track, then in the timeline drop and drag it into the sound effect timeline, then load in a second music track, then drag them so they overlap, voila one track fades out, one fades in.

Software

Scenalyzer Live (can't speak highly enough of this)
Sony Vegas 6 (installing it today. apparently release "a" is buggy. V5 is fantastic though)
Sony DVD Architect 3 (for my full blown DVD projects requiring subtitles, AC3 etc..)
TMPGenc DVD Author (for "quickie" DVD projects)
Canopus Procoder (I got this originally for PAL -> NTSC conversion)

Hardware

I got my current computer in Bangkok in August 2004 and I've been mostly happy with it. I also have Sony Vaio GRX laptops which have been VERY unreliable.

Case: ATX Lian Li PC-6083 (VERY happy with this. Taiwan made, strong, looks good, quiet, easy to open up, good fans, but expensive for a case)

Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

Power Supply: Enermax 350W (Enermax is one of about the 3 best brands)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 / 3.0C

Graphics: Asus VGA V9520 video suite/128Mb (has 2 x DVI sockets)

System drive: Western Digital Raptor 36Gb (Serial ATA and goes around at 10,000 RPM and longer warranty. A bit extravagant though)

Data drive: Western Digital 250Gb (Serial ATA, 7,200 RPM, 8Mb buffer. One of these failed and was exchanged under warranty)

RAM: Kingston Value DDR RAM PC3200 CL2.5 (longer latency of CL3 is often offered unless u specifically request CL2.5)

Monitor: Philips LCD 17" 170B (has small built-in speakers and refresh rate of 16ms, better than 25ms. Will be getting a 2nd one without speakers soon for dual display)

Keyboard and Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite (great mouse but I should have just got a Logitec corded keyboard)

Soundcard: Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 plus the Asus onboard audio (I got the Terratec for voiceovers and music)

DVD writer: Pioneer 107 8x (things have moved on a lot since this)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom