Video Editing Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will need a gaming laptop with high end GPU to use DVR. A 12gb ram laptop with iGPU won’t cut it. If you have an iPad or Android Tablet try a mobile app instead - I would stick to the default Insta360 video editor app until you feel you’ve hit a wall and want to do better …

I use videopad. There are bugs in the program and they try to get you to upgrade to the latest version all the time. But, it works sufficiently well that all of the 170 plus videos on our channel were created using videopad.

Full-time videographer here

From a price perspective it's hard to beat Resolve if you're willing to put the effort into learning it. However, if you're trying to cut videos and don't have any prior experience, even with loads of YouTube tutorials, Resolve is a handful of a program to use just starting out.

If you can spare a couple bucks, even for just a month, Adobe Rush is gonna be a much simpler experience and will get you cutting some clips together much faster. I think there may even be a free tier available, but the full version is only $10/month. Yeah I know, it's not free, and I also know a lot of people dislike Adobe, but the simplicity of Rush over Resolve may save enough time and headaches to get you cutting and enjoying your footage.

All that said, Resolve rocks and I use it daily as a companion to Premiere Pro.

Another one I used at one point was Lightworks (Lightworks - Easy to Use Pro Video Editing Software). It's capable enough, but once I discovered Resolve I never looked back. I felt that I always needed to re-learn Lightworks every time I fired it up after a a break of a month or two. Although there's still a learning curve, Resolve seems more intuitive. I can't speak for what Lightworks is like now, that was quite a few years ago.

Resolve rocks and I use it daily as a companion to Premiere Pro.

Do they do different things from each other to need to use both?

You will need a gaming laptop with high end GPU to use DVR. A 12gb ram laptop with iGPU won’t cut it. If you have an iPad or Android Tablet try a mobile app instead - I would stick to the default Insta360 video editor app until you feel you’ve hit a wall and want to do better …
That's what I have decided to do, at least for the moment. I couldn't decide on an editor, and I just returned from a dive trip and wanted to put something together quickly. I'm using Insta360 Studio v5.2 which while having some shortcomings, does everything I need right now and has a not-so-steep learning curve.

Do they do different things from each other to need to use both?

Right now they both do the same thing, but they have very different origin stories. Premiere started out as strictly an editor, and Resolve as strictly a color grader, and that pedigree is still pretty apparent today.

I prefer to edit in Premiere as the UI, controls, and integration with After Effects and the Adobe suite is hard to beat for my workflows. But the Lumetri color tech built into Premiere, while good, leaves a lot to be desired when you get serious about color work. It's usable for sure, but I run into its limits frequently.

Resolve just slaps when it comes to color grading. Nothing else (affordable) touches it. And sending my Premiere projects over to Resolve for grading is worth the round-trip for projects where color grading is important, or I can't trick Lumetri into doing what I need it to do.

Right now they both do the same thing, but they have very different origin stories. Premiere started out as strictly an editor, and Resolve as strictly a color grader, and that pedigree is still pretty apparent today.

I prefer to edit in Premiere as the UI, controls, and integration with After Effects and the Adobe suite is hard to beat for my workflows. But the Lumetri color tech built into Premiere, while good, leaves a lot to be desired when you get serious about color work. It's usable for sure, but I run into its limits frequently.

Resolve just slaps when it comes to color grading. Nothing else (affordable) touches it. And sending my Premiere projects over to Resolve for grading is worth the round-trip for projects where color grading is important, or I can't trick Lumetri into doing what I need it to do.

You do this for more than just UW videos, correct?

You do this for more than just UW videos, correct?

Yep, I work full-time in marketing video production - commercials, stories, etc.

Though I have to admit I have next to no experience with underwater video yet. I still feel task-loaded enough with my buoyancy & trim to not want to toss a camera into my loadout quite yet. But my goal is to get those to the point that I can get into UW photo & video.

Back
Top Bottom