Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, and I guess I can add in that our ikelite houses my SONY PD170 DV Cam with a wide-angle converter lens--can't complain about this lil lady, except all together it is a heavy piece of work!

Death to avid and premiere. Final Cut Pro all the way!!!!!!!

let the flames begin.

FCP is great, but for most the supplied IMovie HD is fine for most projects seen on the web. The two have been gradually migrating together in the past few years. Unless you're compositing and doing multifunction effects and color correction, IMovie will fit the bill (and imports stills, audio, etc.). The limitation I would have them change is video layering in IMovie. At present you have one track of video but can layer audio tracks. Best of luck with your videos!

Hog Hunting:

YouTube - HOG HUNTING

The Weeki Wachee River:

YouTube - Intracoastal - The Weeki Wachee River

MM
YouTube - flagold's Channel

Ouch... got a new HDV-camcorder this christmas. It is going to be expensive... got a new computer at work and I thought it was all ready to go one hack of a computer!! Of course it wasn't... But it'll have to do, for now.

Specs:

- Asus Intel Xeon X3220:
* Intel Xeon
* LGA 775
* 2400 MHz
* Quad-Core
* 1066 MHz
* 65 nm
* Kentsfield
* L2-cache: 8192 KiB
* 105 Watt

Right away I had to buy both a sound card and a video card. So I got a GeForce GTX260 and an ASUS Xonar D1. Both "middle of the road" for gaming, but certainly well suited for video (and then some...). But then I had to get a new power supply, 'cause the 260-thingy wanted some 500 watts to start! Things are getting expensive now... And of course the old flat screen didn't quite cut it, so I got a 24" Samsung HD widescreen.

For software I start off the easy way. I am not an advanced computerist, so the pinnacle Studios v12 "Ultimate" will have to do. Since I use the computer at work I plan to stick to licenced software, and some of the better editing programs are out of my league. anyone who uses this program with some feed back out there?

camera: Sony HC9e Mini-DV. I'm not ready for the hard-disk camcorders, and I hear there is a new memory card coming soon which will make away with the need for sensitive onboard harddisks. Anyways, I think it takes less computer power to manage the data on DV-tapes compared to the compressed data on harddisks. Am I right? I dunno... got a good price on a camera I like.

I use XP Pro 32 for now, so RAM is limited. I've installed 4 GB for now, but maybe later I can switch to 64-bit and put in some more RAM if the main programs on my computer otherwhise can handle it? My computer/work station is also a server for a mini network.

Any suggestions on how to make the most out of what I've got? Also looking for a UW-housing before summer, but until then I'll learn to handle video on land...

Hi I own a Quad core Mac Pro 2.66 GHz with 4GB of Ram.
I use the Adobe master suite CS3 mainly because of it's tight intergration between its programs. So I edit in Premiere advance colour correct in After effects and so on.... It's a good system handles HD fine. I have just brought an Sony Fx7 with Amphibico housing and the footage I am shooting is out of this world.

Yeah, that Walter Murch is a real slouch. Coen Brothers obviously don't know what they're doing either.

the Coen's are barely computer literate and they'll tell you so themselves. They cut on FCP because that's what Apple gave them.

If you want to do a comparison between top editors cutting on FCP and on Avid, that'll take no time at all, and it'll be totally lopsided. FCP is a nice piece of software and all, but it's WAY too Apple centric for major studios to embrace.

I used to work in the movie industry as an effects consultant and I can tell you that many pro editors are on macs, many are on PCs, but they all, every single last one of them, uses Avid. FCP is a great program and is popular at smaller TV stations, production companies that do corporate and ad work, and indy/low budget films but it doesn't have integration with ProTools which is the undebatable audio industry king (Avid owns ProTools so they integrate superbly). Also FCP doesn't have the project and file management features big studios with tons of people and advanced media servers need. That said I enjoy editing in FCP waay more and for my personal work I use FCP unless I need to work with an Avid user in which case I use that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom