Video Editing Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha From Maui.

With all due respect to all of you.
But I haven't heard anything about your capture boards.
What kind of hardware capture cards do you have??
If not, all you're doing is compressing that beautiful image
your camera just captured, hence lowering its quality.
Capture cards are expensive, usually in the 2500.00 range, but so worth it if you really want to preserve that original master quality, no matter what format you're shooting in.

Anyways, figured I'd add my two scents.

Aloha & Mahalo,

MAUI DIVER

Most of us are using firewire... no capture cards... ieee 1384. Built into anything Sony and Mac... Full DV quality.

aloha,

sorry but not full dv quality....its a compressed file using firewire as well as a capture board but worse, looks fine to common joe but broacasters would kick it out.
anyways, just trying to share knowledge. no offense. Now the capture boards are offered with uncompressed output which is perfect. just a note.

aloha

http://www.avchd-info.org/

Sony and Panasonic are having their HD (1080 lines) camcorders done with avchd compression, according to the retailers, avchd editing system is not there yet. As a result if you buy a Sony HDR-SR1 (30G Hard Disk) which is using avchd format, you can connect the camcorder directly to TV but you cannot edit the file at your PC.

I just checked the sony website, not much info about editor fir avcgd format.

alo100:
http://www.avchd-info.org/

Sony and Panasonic are having their HD (1080 lines) camcorders done with avchd compression, according to the retailers, avchd editing system is not there yet. As a result if you buy a Sony HDR-SR1 (30G Hard Disk) which is using avchd format, you can connect the camcorder directly to TV but you cannot edit the file at your PC.

I just checked the sony website, not much info about editor fir avchd format.

A: I found the following forum to be useful in terms of the topic.
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?p=46573#post46573
and I joined one:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f165

Recently built upgraded desktop editing machine:
  • AMD 3800+ X2 AM2 Socket (looking at the new 5200 X2 AM2 as CPU upgrade)
  • Gigabyte MoBo 16GB max ram capacity
  • 4GB Corsair XMS Dual Channel PC6400 RAM
  • Win XP Pro x64 Bit (x64 sees all 4GB RAM)
  • Dell 21" CRT Flat screen
  • MSI nVidia 7600LE PCI-x 256mb vid card
  • 40Gb 7200RPM Boot drive, 40GB 7200RPM Audio, 2x160GB 7200RPM RAID0 video editing, 200GB 7200RPM USB external for backup
  • NEC Dual Layer DVD burner
  • Adobe Production Suite 2.5 (including Nucleo plugin for AE 6.5 and Red Giant InstantHD to Uprez DV footage to HD 720p)

Currently still shooting and editing MiniDV footage shot on a SONY TRV950 with Light & Motion Bluefin Housing as well as land based field production gear. Content currently is for Internet distribution only. Looking at SONY V1U as next major acquisition tool when released - still not sure on that one though.

The specs listed previously for my laptop still apply - maybe looking at a dual core AMD based laptop for field editing if I hold off on the newer camera purchase.

While at DEMA, I spoke with both John Ellerbrock of Gates and Joe Bendahan at Amphibico - they have housings coming out Q1-Q2 2007. Barrett Haywood from L&M said that once they get their hands on one, they will be doing a Bluefin housing for it as well.

Firewire is a connection. It moves the 1s and 0s from the tape to 1s and 0s on the hard drive. No additional compression is done, just basically a simple file transfer.

The compression is done by the camera when recording onto the DV tape.

If you have a DV deck with component out and a input card like the AJA or Decklink cards then you can bring it in "uncompressed" (if you have a RAID array) but you won't really see much benefit if you aren't doing chromakeying or extensive graphics/VFX.

Broadcasters frequently air DV footage. Depends on the broadcaster. Many people shoot and edit DV then output to DBeta to keep the broadcasters happy.

Kona 3 card even does a pretty good job of uprezzing to HD.

Jim

MAUI DIVER:
aloha,

sorry but not full dv quality....its a compressed file using firewire as well as a capture board but worse, looks fine to common joe but broacasters would kick it out.
anyways, just trying to share knowledge. no offense. Now the capture boards are offered with uncompressed output which is perfect. just a note.

aloha

I agree with jimk on this. Firewire is a direct digital transfer. Even the very best and most expensive capture card would require using the A/V outputs of the camcorder (a digital to analog conversion), then converting back from analog to digital in the capture card. I don't see an advantage to this when Firewire keeps everything in the digital domain, providing an image of the 1s and 0s on the tape as jimk said. In cases like this, the simplest and most direct solution is usually the best option.

Of course, if you're using an analog camcorder that's a whole other story, and in that case I'd say use the best capture card you can afford, but unless you have a really nice 3-CCD model that cost you more than $2500 and you don't want to part with it, I'd say that $2500 would be better spent on a new camcorder than on a capture card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom