TSA Approved Locks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Maybe I don't knoe how to search the forums properly but I can't find any mention of TSA approved locks. I didn't know these existed until yesterday and came on the boards to "read up" on them.
Unable to find posts, I thought I'd share. I'm traveling again in three weeks and was concerned about the gear that I need to check with my luggage. A friend gave me a "TSA approved" lock. This is the neatest thing. You set it by picking your own combination (3 or 4 digits) and it works like a rgular padlock. However, there is a small key slot underneath that the TSA usues to unlock your bag if they need to inspect it and then relock it as they send it on it's way. No need to cut your lock in order to look in your bags.
Lately, I hear a lot of stories about things gone missing between airport security and the final destination, perhaps because access is so easy without the presence of any kind of locking device on everyone's luggage.
I'll have to follow up in a few weeks to let you know how it turns out, but in the meanwhile, I bought two more locks at ebags.com for a little under $20. Small price to pay if it makes it a little harder for a baggage handler to steal your stuff. Now I guess none of this matters if the TSA are the ones with sticky fingers, but you would think your luggage is safer with security than with the countless other hands it passes through.
Still, I've purchased two Samsonite travel light rolling carry ones that will fit the requirements of any airline's carry on restrictions. My reg, computer, and camera equipment, and mask will be sitting in coach with me.........
Happy travels, hope this is helpful to someone out there, or saves at least one person some traveling blues!:D

We have been using the TSA locks. They work really well. Although the first time we used them, one of them was removed on the return trip through Miami and never put back on the suitcase by TSA. Amazingly enough it was on the suitcase that we had ensured with the airline. Luckily everything was still in the suitecase when we got home to Dallas.

susan6868:
Maybe I don't knoe how to search the forums properly but I can't find any mention of TSA approved locks. I didn't know these existed until yesterday and came on the boards to "read up" on them.
Unable to find posts, I thought I'd share. I'm traveling again in three weeks and was concerned about the gear that I need to check with my luggage. A friend gave me a "TSA approved" lock. This is the neatest thing. You set it by picking your own combination (3 or 4 digits) and it works like a rgular padlock. However, there is a small key slot underneath that the TSA usues to unlock your bag if they need to inspect it and then relock it as they send it on it's way. No need to cut your lock in order to look in your bags.
Lately, I hear a lot of stories about things gone missing between airport security and the final destination, perhaps because access is so easy without the presence of any kind of locking device on everyone's luggage.
I'll have to follow up in a few weeks to let you know how it turns out, but in the meanwhile, I bought two more locks at ebags.com for a little under $20. Small price to pay if it makes it a little harder for a baggage handler to steal your stuff. Now I guess none of this matters if the TSA are the ones with sticky fingers, but you would think your luggage is safer with security than with the countless other hands it passes through.
Still, I've purchased two Samsonite travel light rolling carry ones that will fit the requirements of any airline's carry on restrictions. My reg, computer, and camera equipment, and mask will be sitting in coach with me.........
Happy travels, hope this is helpful to someone out there, or saves at least one person some traveling blues!:D

So if TSA can use the key than why couldnt a baggage handler do the same??? I confused but Ill go to ebags to see it for myself thanks.

I've flown with "TSA Approved" locks on 6 flights. On 2 of them, they cut the locks off...

BTW - you can buy them at Wal-Mart, Target, or any other major store that sells any kind of luggage :wink:

after they kept cutting them off, I decided NOT to buy the $15 locks anymore, and got 2 for $5 - those were not cut.

They took my last of 6 TSA approved locks on my last trip back from Hawaii. The locks have a replacement policy if they are cut off, but you have to return the remains of the lock to the manufacturer. Unfortunately the TSA goons just toss the lock (or pocket them for resale?) after they remove them.

It says on the TSA site that due to the many types of TSA approved locks that they may not have the time to find the right key and will then just cut the lock. Seems to me that is their preferred method.

Anyway, I will not use those locks again as the TSA thieves ultimately take them. Instead I use zip-ties on all my bags. At least they are cheap to replace.

Okay so maybe it's not as great as the invention of peniciilian, but zip ties? Is that the same thing as cable tie? I have plenty of those but how can you use them when TSA has to get in and out of your bag? Is there a way to have TSA inspect your bag and THEN lock it or zip tie it? I know at LaGuardia and JFK you check in and "drop" your bags in the TSA area with the big MRI looking thing. They do what they do behind the scenes, you aren't there.
TSA thieves, what a country................

TSA cuts off zip ties and replaces them with a new one.

You have a better chance of hanging onto a TSA lock that they might unlock instead of cutting off, than a regular one they have to cut off. But figure sooner or later you'll lose the TSA ones too.

The combination locks are more convienient than zip ties but other than convienience I'm not sure they're any better. I've lost a few locks and was thinking of going back to zip ties instead of buying more. Any of these little locks at best help keep your luggage closed, and help keep the honest, honest. I've always assumed the bad guys have gotten the keys too and if not there's nothing stopping them from popping a lock off. Also, if TSA breaks a lock off they don't seem to put a zip tie on instead.

It seems the folks in customs don't have the TSA keys - our luggage was recently lost and went through customs without us and they broke off some TSA locks.

I use Zipties from work, They are a Barcoded with number imprinted on them. Something no one else would have so it works well. Like anything its only to keep the honest out. Atleast with this setup i can tell if my case has been opened gives me a chance to check my gear before i leave if they have been replaced, When i traveled tro Aruba they where not touched going or coming back.

Okay, so let's assume the bad guys get in no matter what. Do you think it's the smaller stuff that gets stolen most? Let's face it, I don't know where the heist occurs, but it's got to be easier to conceal a computer than a BCD. I'd love to see where a theif stashes a pair of bright yellow Apollo Bio Pro's until he gets off shift.
With that said, do you think it's just wise to carry your reg setup, camera, computer with you and check the larger bulkier items? Or do they tend to go missing just as much?
I'm beginning to think the hardest part of this sport is getting all your stuff fro one place to another in one piece!

PS- after shopping around, I picked up two of these for just that purpose.
Marshall's- $40 a piece.....His and hers.......wheeled tote 17"H x 14"W x 8"D
http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_multiple1.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=294887205

I marked the a bunch of zip ties with nail polish or sharpie so they are unique. I also have some brightly colored ones they're unlikely to have the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom