TSA Approved Locks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last time we traveled we had our combo TSA locks taken but not our key TSA locks. If they were cut for inspection because they would not open with there key, then they should have left a note and returned the cut lock by placing it in the bag. Since the locks were not returned, I have to assume that the combo locks had a value to them because it can be reset. It sure makes you wonder about our airport security if the airports are hiring security people who are low enough to steel locks!
Bottom line, it isn’t work putting a lock of any kind on your luggage. Anyone who wants your stuff can get it.

TSA took our TSA approved locks.... We found out when we picked up the baggage at the desination. LOL~~~~~

Hoosier- did they take anything BESIDES the locks?

Perhaps the thicker shackle on the key style all metal TSA approved locks makes it more hassle to cut the lock than to find the TSA key, hence my better luck with them. Even my pencil / keyboard / mouse pusher fingers could bend, then snap the flimsy shackles on the typical TSA approved combination locks. I know because I tried to bend a few bent ones back into shape at the destination.

Here's the official TSA presentation on luggage lock damage.

http://www.tsaclaims.org/damagedlocks.htm

Funny thing is, most of the all metal models show no or only cosmetic damage, and are still locked. This would indicate the bag zipper failed where the lock goes through the holes.

There are a number of loose shackles from the flimsy variety in there, helping demonstrate how flimsy that design is. However, there are a number of the flimsy variety just plain open - does that happen from baggage handling equipment??? If so, why was this design approved by the TSA???

When I traveled with TSA locks, they cut the zipper pull of my bag--and left the lock. On the same trip (coming back) we went throught a different airport where they screen you checked luggage infront of you and they decided to open my brother's luggage that had a TSA lock on it. They fished out the keys and opened it. I asked the guy if he had any idea why my bag had been cut open and he said it was most likely lazyness on the part of the screener. Zip ties work great and are great for recognizing your luggage on the carosol. Tie on your luggage tags with them too, especially if your going through Dallas-Fort Worth (I always lose a tag in that airport).

Made our circuit of the Netherlands Antilles with no problems regarding our key padlock style TSA locks. Worked well on our carry-ons also when these had to be 'gate checked'. The biggest delays were by WinAir, both going to & from St. Eustatius, so I was glad they suitcases were locked while they lingered in St. Maarten and Statia.

MSY => MIA => CUR => BON (9 nights stay) => CUR => SXM => EUX (7 nights stay) => SXM => MIA => MSY

Miami airport was the zoo I remembered, enhanced by construction activities, and TSA shuts down screening early at some spots (like the C gates) making you make an extreme trek to the A gates to get back through to C area. Absolutely Asinine.

Baggage recheck for AA at Miami after clearing Immigration and Customs was ludicrous, but everything arrived when we landed at New Orleans again.

Back
Top Bottom