TSA Approved Locks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Hawaii, and when TSA inspected one bag they left a note, and trough the lock and note in the back, and left the bag unlocked. On my other bag, (diving stuff) the just took off the lock (cut it, or just opened and kept it?) and left it unlocked. That lock lasted one trip. My old combo locks seem to be left alone, as do zip ties. So, I don't mind them searching through stuff (have fun on the return home :eyebrow: :D ), it make us all safer, but, I wish they would -as a policy if they took off your lock, or zip tie put it back on!

Ya know I just leave my bags open. I cary on my Regs/Computer/Mask. If they wanna steal my BC/Fins then I have to rent at the other end.

As I have no choice but checking in some mighty expensive UW Strobes as well a my Subal housing, I am going to try to use some sturdy TSA locks I picked up from
Corporate Travel Safety http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=112&osCsid=79ba6c40be19b00a28e6a84235d69f71.

I plan on putty on a note (blue masking tape) about the locks being TSA approved.

I had a cheap TSA lock I used a snow ski bag a couple of time before but it got really bent up in actual use. We'll see how this goes.

As I have no choice but checking in some mighty expensive UW Strobes as well a my Subal housing, I am going to try to use some sturdy TSA locks I picked up from
Corporate Travel Safety

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=112&osCsid=79ba6c40be19b00a28e6a84235d69f71.

I plan on putty on a note (blue masking tape) about the locks being TSA approved.

I had a cheap TSA lock I used a snow ski bag a couple of time before but it got really bent up in actual use. We'll see how this goes.

My wife has expensive housings and strobes in a large, hard case. She carries the camera and lenses. Her case gets opened every time we fly. What she does is locks the case with a zip tie and inside leaves a very nice note to TSA, thanking them for the great job they are doing to keep us safe (you've got to admit the job is a thankless one). She explains that she understands their need to open bags. At the end of the note she asks if they could please replace the zip tie with the one she is providing them by scotch taping it to the note. Works like a charm. It's that honey/vinegar thing.

kidsdream:
Corporate Travel Safety

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=112&osCsid=79ba6c40be19b00a28e6a84235d69f71.

Thanks for the link. We tried several of the 'standard' TSA combination locks a few years ago and they performed poorly - either the TSA wouldn't even put them on at point of departure, when they insisted we hand over the suitcases unlocked and lock seperately, assuring us they would put the lock on, or the flimsy shackle would bend and snap.

The shackle on the model in your link looks similar to the shackle in the all metal key-style TSA approved locks I'm using.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/store/universal-brass-padlocks-c-11.html

I picked up several of these earlier this year, and they were very handy when the new rules on liquids & gels came about (I've had an air travel business trip 80% of the weeks this year). I can report these all metal key style TSA locks have withstood everything the baggage handling systems dish out, and the few times I found a TSA note in my checked bag, the lock was in place. These all metal models do fit my standard luggage zipper openings, but are considerably thicker than the standard locks that have plastic components.

I have never, ever, had a zip tie replaced by TSA when I used zip ties.

There are links for both brands (Safe Skies uses the torch logo and Travel Sentry uses the diamond logo) on TSA's web site.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

I use my own locks and then drop the bags for the TSA to inspect in my presence. If they need to open it I give them the combo. The last time this happened the TSA inspector could not repack my bag properly so I asked for it back. I repacked it and then it was reinspected but not opened. I found a supervision and thanked them for that.

As others have mentioned - the TSA approved locks only work if they have the key. Most do not but others (i.e. thieves do). So you are better off using your own locks and requesting an in person inspection.

Getting bags inspected in your presence is not an option at most airports.

I'm done with those locks. TSA has managed to cut off the 6 I put on there over the past year. Who do you complain to about this? No one is gonna listen. :)

I have seen the TSA goons cut the zipper of a bag to inspect the contents and leave the TSA lock intact locked to the other part of the zipper. And besides who said the baggage handlers are stealing all of the stuff and not the TSA goons themselves. I guess this post has probally marked me for a set of "lost Luggage" nextime I fly but it needs to be said.

Back
Top Bottom