Travel Time - Cancun Airport to Ferry in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone who’s recently made the trip between the Cancun airport and the ferry in Playa report on how long it took? I know there has been som construction and bad traffic, but in October, it wasn’t to bad, maybe 90 minutes.

I just spent 5 weeks in the area. Generally the travel was not too bad going south. There was some southbound congestion at Playa, but not non-moving traffic for long periods of time.

I am in Coz now, did the bag drag from Cancun. The drive time, leaving the airport mid-afternoon on Friday, was about an hour. A heads-up though about the airport wait times: It took an hour for our checked bags to get unloaded, and then it took about 1.5 hours to get picked up by our pre-booked, pre-paid transportation. The situation wasn’t specific to the company we used - there were people waiting even longer than we did. The operators said it was due to the construction slowing down entrance into the airport.

I am in Coz now, did the bag drag from Cancun. The drive time, leaving the airport mid-afternoon on Friday, was about an hour. A heads-up though about the airport wait times: It took an hour for our checked bags to get unloaded, and then it took about 1.5 hours to get picked up by our pre-booked, pre-paid transportation. The situation wasn’t specific to the company we used - there were people waiting even longer than we did. The operators said it was due to the construction slowing down entrance into the airport.

THANK YOU for sharing this- might be doing a last minute trip soon and this just made the direct to CZM much more appealing. I had no problems with the bag drag last June, but I could see the potential for it to turn into a nightmare.

Thanks for the info. I did the bag drag twice in 2022 and did not run into these issues. Bags were pretty prompt and the pickup was fine. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Fortunately, the timing is pretty flexible for me. I can always catch a later ferry.

I took the ADO bus from Playa to CUN 2/8/23 expecting it to be slow. 1 hour to the airport. Similar experience in January going from CUN to Playa on ADO bus, 1 hour. YMMV

Edit: No bag problem at CUN in January either.

I used the taxis/ shuttle service that hang out by the bus depots last month.
The fare is 300 pesos, but they will ask for more so negotiate.
The taxi tries to get four passengers before it leaves.
Once we left playa, I was at terminal three in 50 minutes.

Haven’t had to do the bag drag in a few years (thank you United for going back to daily CZM service ) , but as a reminder to those concerned we are coming up on Spring Break season. That probably increases the chances of congestion in Cancun and Playa relative to other times of the year.

This past year or so direct to Cozumel has been less expensive. For the first time in my experience I met people doing the reverse bag drag to mainland.

What is the current preferred transport to PDC for a plane that arrives Cancun at 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon?

im going to try the bag drag. Saves about $500 for two of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom