Trip Report Quick Trip Report to Belize:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've traveled through multiple countries in Central and South America. I've been to Honduras, won't go back there, either.

I am easy going, prefer greasy spoon diners and local joints instead of 5-star hotels. I don't have high expectations.

I eat from alley food carts instead of restaurants.

I've been to many countries that were former colonies.

I did lower my expectations when visiting Belize.

Doesn't change a thing.

Belize City is disgusting. It's a run-down and dirty country, more so than even I expected.

I rest my case about Belize.

FYI we ate at numerous small restaurants in Belize City, ones that were recommended by locals on the street. The food was good and we didn't get sick while in country.

Why did you stay in Belize City at all? No one does unless have to overnight because catching an lob.

Why did you stay in Belize City at all? No one does unless have to overnight because catching an lob.
Transition layover because of flights home. And just to explore and experience other countries. Take your time and smell the roses. Or, in the case of Belize City, smell the garbage.

Years ago we found a little gem of a place west of the airport called The Black Orchid Resort. It's a small family run business that sits on the Belize River. It has a restaurant/bar, pool and anything you would really need on site. They offer airport and city transfers and will arrange tours for you also. We always stay there pre/post trip and don't spend any more time in Belize City than necessary.
(I'm not affiliated with the place in any way)

Transition layover because of flights home. And just to explore and experience other countries. Take your time and smell the roses. Or, in the case of Belize City, smell the garbage.
Omg

I do like that there are direct flights from LA to belize city. I did stay the night at a airbnb near the ferry terminals and it met my expectations (AC worked, quiet and clean enough for someone who lost their sense of smell with covid). I am glad I got to see Belize City, the Mennonites out early in starched shirts and overalls, the meat pies / pasties and the church owned banks. I didn't feel unsafe walking around the city at night, and like anywhere listen to your hotel front desk on where not to go.

It also looked to me like the city was going to swallowed up by rising sea levels. (This was particularly stark when flying over the north in a small prop plane).

It was pretty easy to taxi from the airport to the hotel near the ferry, get to the ferry early, grab a meat pie and be on Caye Caulker in time for the morning dive. All in all, like doing the bag drag from Cancun to Cozumel. However, if I were to do it again, I would try to arrange to take the $80 maya / tropic air flight direct to San Pedro and skip the night in Belize City.

Back
Top Bottom