Travel Time - Cancun Airport to Ferry in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming it's 2 of you, taking the ADO to/from the Cancun airport and the Winjet ferry to/from Cozumel, your tickets are gonna be right at $100 USD. You should be pocketing $400.

I hate the bag drag route but flying from the NW (PDX) sometimes has weird/long layovers. Generally if I can save over $300 and have a direct flight to Cancun I'll reluctantly do the bag drag. Except for this last year it seems like most of the time we can fly directly into CZM for close to the same price. Trips this year (Oct & March) was/is much cheaper to fly into Cancun.

Not understanding the bag drag despair. As far as vacations go, CLE to CUN, to PDC, to CZM, is easy as pie. I love the bag drag except for one thing:

The only thing that bothered me was the beggers. Not hobo's, but restaraunt kiosks, and convenience stores yelling at us to try them. Headphones help. PDC needs to tone that down. It lowers an otherwise classy place. I was there during Carnival, so maybe thats more encouraged at that time.

(Ok, filling out the customs form on the airplane is the suck. Why do they wait til the last 5 minutes of the flight to pass those out? And wth is a sur nom? Lol. I hate flying.)

Last time there, was a family trip to PDC, no diving. Idiot parents arranged transportation at the airport. Dont do that. It's exactly 3 seconds to get into a taxi when you leave the CUN airport. When I step through the airport exit, there was 87,087 taxis within an arms reach. A stinking half hour to find your bus or hotel shuttel guy.

We stopped for groceries half way between PDC and CUN. Dont do that. Groceries cost more than restaraunts. You arent going to go hungry, dont pack food. Mexico bread is kinda lame, dont bother.

If youre early, stop farther away from the ferry. Get lunch or dinner in PDC. Order the best of everything. Go wild. Pricing was extremely fair. Only found one place with CLE pricing. Heck, find something to do in PDC and have lunch and dinner there. Watch your time, last ferry stops at 9pm, id be sweating bullets trying to catch that one. Ill jump on at 7.

Dont forget a ratchet strap to hold your carry on, onto your suitcase for easy towing. Ratchet strap. Not bungie, not some weak luggage strap. Cut the excess strap off. Million dollar tip, there.

Ill try to go again when travel restrictions are 110% gone. But ill be traveling alone this time.

After doing the bag drag three times (and once the Mayair flight) my wife refuses to do it again. I don't mind it as much, and it will be saving me over $500., so will be doing it solo at the end of April. I will be landing at CUN at 3:55 pm and will ADO bus to Playa. I have been through Playa many times but have never spent a night there so I will stay over that first night to see what it is like. We will be flying directly to CZM together in the Fall to maintain marital harmony.

Update on bag drag travel times if staying over in Cancun prior to your flight: ADO bus trip from Playa to Cancun downtown was 2 hours on Wednesday mid-day. Normal time for that is about 1 hour 20 minutes according to their schedule. Taxi time from the downtown ADO terminal to the middle part of the hotel zone was about 30 minutes, 350 pesos. Taxi time this AM from mid-hotel zone to terminal 3 was 30 minutes, no backups anywhere.

ADO has an app where you can reserve and purchase tickets. I don’t recommend purchasing ahead for time for the CUN to PDC route. It’s best just to show up and purchase a ticket for the next departure. It’s a good idea to buy ahead of time for PDC to CUN. When we were headed back to Cancun in August, the PDC ADO terminal was packed, and the bus from the Cancun ADO terminal to the airport was completely sold out (we stayed over night in Cancun).
And for your listening pleasure, while you’re waiting for your bus at ADO:

😂

ADO has an app where you can reserve and purchase tickets. I don’t recommend purchasing ahead for time for the CUN to PDC route. It’s best just to show up and purchase a ticket for the next departure. It’s a good idea to buy ahead of time for PDC to CUN. When we were headed back to Cancun in August, the PDC ADO terminal was packed, and the bus from the Cancun ADO terminal to the airport was completely sold out (we stayed over night in Cancun).
And for your listening pleasure, while you’re waiting for your bus at ADO:
Great tip! Thank you.

Im not a Spanish speaker but still managed to figure it out, without any problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom