Travel Time - Cancun Airport to Ferry in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fly a lot and would prefer a transfer in all of those airports vs bad drag. I used to bag drag numerous times a year based on financial needs. If money wasn’t the reason, gladly change planes .
I also fly a lot. Some of my preference is airline-based. I strongly prefer Delta, partly because I have status and I can use miles for seats up front. Even if I’m paying for the ticket, in my book Delta is better than American or United. I’ve had a bad experience taking America to CZM through DFW. United isn’t any better and we get regional jet connections to Chicago. No way I’m taking Southwest, which would be inconvenient anyway. If Delta starts flying into CZM again, I’ll do that, even if there’s a change in Atlanta. But for now, the bag drag is preferable, even though I am incapable of packing light. Plus, I kind of enjoy the ferry ride.

I fly a lot and would prefer a transfer in all of those airports vs bad drag. I used to bag drag numerous times a year based on financial needs. If money wasn’t the reason, gladly change planes .
I don't fly a lot, but I do agree with you. A plane change to fly into Cozumel would have to be very bad indeed, so bad that I would be risking not getting to Cozumel at all, or hideously expensive in comparison, for me to prefer a bag drag from Cancun over a flight into Cozumel. I've done the bag drag and I did not like it at all. I freely admit that a big part of that was not traveling light, but that's how we roll.

YMMV and DSFDF.

I have only done three trips to Cozumel and flew to CZM all three times. In summer 2021, returning home, we did get delayed several hours leaving CZM, then stuck in Dallas for two nights. It was when American was having problems.

I am saving about $500 flying direct to CUN/bag drag. Time wise, between connecting in Dallas to CZM and bag drag, it is probably a wash. We’re not over packers, and may enjoy the ferry trip.

We’ll see whether the savings is worth it (to us). $500 isn’t immaterial to me, but I also don’t go on vacations to save money.

Cancun to PDC on Feb 10. Plane landed and immigration was about 20 minutes. Purchased ticket from ADO stand in front of buses at terminal 4. Boarded bus which left within 5 minutes. Stop at a terminal for more passengers. About 45 minutes to ADO bus station in PDC. 5 minutes to winjet ferry window by the ferry stop for the ferry ticket. Had 35 minutes before the ferry so walked up to the Torta cart on calle 1 for a asada torta. Line for ferry for 15 minutes. I recommend sitting on top in the open air. ferry was the usual 40 minutes.

For the return on Feb 18 reverse but the ADO bus was slammed in PDC. Waited roughly 40 minutes in line for a ticket. Bus took nearly 90 minutes in traffic to the airport. We had booked a last minute ticket out of Cancun since our volaris flight out of cozumel was cancelled.

Cancun to PDC on Feb 10. Plane landed and immigration was about 20 minutes. Purchased ticket from ADO stand in front of buses at terminal 4. Boarded bus which left within 5 minutes. Stop at a terminal for more passengers. About 45 minutes to ADO bus station in PDC. 5 minutes to winjet ferry window by the ferry stop for the ferry ticket. Had 35 minutes before the ferry so walked up to the Torta cart on calle 1 for a asada torta. Line for ferry for 15 minutes. I recommend sitting on top in the open air. ferry was the usual 40 minutes.

For the return on Feb 18 reverse but the ADO bus was slammed in PDC. Waited roughly 40 minutes in line for a ticket. Bus took nearly 90 minutes in traffic to the airport. We had booked a last minute ticket out of Cancun since our volaris flight out of cozumel was cancelled.

Yes even pre traffic we would budget most of a day to make sure we made our flight. The bag drag certainly feels different on the way home.

I just did the bag drag on Feb 2, '23. The trip to the ferry was about an hour. We left the airport a little after 6pm and I was able to catch the 8pm ferry.

I have only done three trips to Cozumel and flew to CZM all three times. In summer 2021, returning home, we did get delayed several hours leaving CZM, then stuck in Dallas for two nights. It was when American was having problems.

I am saving about $500 flying direct to CUN/bag drag. Time wise, between connecting in Dallas to CZM and bag drag, it is probably a wash. We’re not over packers, and may enjoy the ferry trip.

We’ll see whether the savings is worth it (to us). $500 isn’t immaterial to me, but I also don’t go on vacations to save money.
Assuming it's 2 of you, taking the ADO to/from the Cancun airport and the Winjet ferry to/from Cozumel, your tickets are gonna be right at $100 USD. You should be pocketing $400.

Assuming it's 2 of you, taking the ADO to/from the Cancun airport and the Winjet ferry to/from Cozumel, your tickets are gonna be right at $100 USD. You should be pocketing $400.
I’ll take $400 for any extra hassle. We may actually enjoy it, we’ll see.

What I have found, is that on the day of a flight home, prior to going to the airport, it is always uneventful, and we are basically killing time anyway. Leaving for the airport a couple of hours early won’t make any difference (to me anyway). Direct flights CUN to SEA leave around 4:30, so that is easy.

I’ll take $400 for any extra hassle. We may actually enjoy it, we’ll see.

What I have found, is that on the day of a flight home, prior to going to the airport, it is always uneventful, and we are basically killing time anyway. Leaving for the airport a couple of hours early won’t make any difference (to me anyway). Direct flights CUN to SEA leave around 4:30, so that is easy.
A direct flight makes it a no brainer. For myself its a direct flight from CZM to DFW, took the 3PM yesterday and was at home by 5:45PM

Actually the Ferry is fairly pleasant now as if you sit upstairs in the open air there will be a musical performance, usually a singer and a guitar player. This is in the afternoons. I found this very pleasant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom