Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate it when my dive buddy free flows 125 feet out under the ice and then wants to breath off of MY bail out bottle. Pfftt....some people....

Wow - there are a lot of pet peeves. The DFA thing really perplexes me. I do it sometimes - sometimes it is because my buddy is below the thermocline and I am too cold - sometimes it is because my buddy keeps stopping or slowing down without warning and I run into him (thats a big one) - sometimes it is because I want to get a better view of the situation - but almost always it is because I have been trying to tell my buddy something (like I am cold, low on air, they keep stopping, etc) and they aren't heeding what I say.

If you consistently get DFA buddies, maybe you are doing something wrong. And if you don't like it, then give them leave and let them lead. Why let it ruin your dive?

The only two things that really rub me are people that not only don't follow the dive plan but who vary from it without giving any kind of notice, and buddies who just don't listen when I try to tell them something because it doesn't jive with "their plan". In short, someone that puts us both in undue danger.

sometimes it is because my buddy is below the thermocline and I am too cold

In this case, I would hope my buddy would signal me "cold" and "move up" and we'd both go shallower.

sometimes it is because my buddy keeps stopping or slowing down without warning and I run into him (thats a big one)

This won't happen, if you aren't behind him.

sometimes it is because I want to get a better view of the situation

A better view? I'm having trouble imagining how you could get a significantly better view of where you are, unless you go up quite a bit; I mean, if you're among boulders or big coral heads and you're on the bottom, you could have your view obstructed, but you'd have to go up a way (say 10 feet or more) to see more, and that's not DFA, that's buddy separation in my book.

but almost always it is because I have been trying to tell my buddy something (like I am cold, low on air, they keep stopping, etc) and they aren't heeding what I say.

This is the sad part of the post. If I told a dive buddy I was cold or had reached turn pressure, and he ignored me, we'd have at the very least a spirited discussion on land, and most likely, I wouldn't dive with that person again. There, the DFA is the least of the problems -- The buddy system has simply broken down.

but almost always it is because I have been trying to tell my buddy something (like I am cold, low on air, they keep stopping, etc) and they aren't heeding what I say.

So basically, you were two solo divers that just happened to be in the same area.

I hate it when my highly skilled, intelligent and drop dead gorgeous dive buddies pass me over and pick another guy as their SO or husband. It's happened a number of times so I've started to date a non-diver and just dive with my buddies (they're all great divers)! Tee hee.

<...Look at him over there... Breathing in and out and in and out... Gawd that's irritating... I wish he'd stop doing that...>

:blinking:

<...Look at him over there... Breathing in and out and in and out... Gawd that's irritating... I wish he'd stop doing that...>

:blinking:

:lol: hubbys says my bubbles annoy him! (hes on a rebreather)

hi, im almitywife and im guilty of most of the peeves here.... and usually when im diving with someone ive ive not dived with before

eg on saturday, a muck dive in bad viz with a visiting SB'er. usually i would spot things for hubby and toddle off to a side and patiently wait, practise a turn or 2 and give him space or try to find something else for him to photograph but with someone new in the dive i was doing circles and bumping into ScubaPhil and over him and under him (as he was off doing circles also but not venturing too far due to bad viz)... :(

I HATE it when my wife pulles my fins.
She has been doinig this for years,but when(a long time ago) a Titan trigger fish bit into my fins it scarres the hell out of me :D

'Try talking American English, drop that dopey Liverpool accent, '

Whats wrong with a Liverpool accent??? It's not their fault your not from gods country. :wink:

Exactly the same 300bar, another one for the pulling of the fins due to I to had mine bit by a titan trigger fish in thailand, keep expecting to see one every time they get pulled!

I HATE it when my wife pulles my fins.
She has been doinig this for years,but when(a long time ago) a Titan trigger fish bit into my fins it scarres the hell out of me :D
Usually buddies pull your fins when they want your attention, but you're just swimming off and they can't keep up.

Back
Top Bottom