Is it OK for a non instructor to do a refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally; this would not be an issue, both certified, you non-pro no liability but your gear = possible liability.

now if you get along with these guys go for it, you’ll know soon enough if you want to go with either into the pacific, the biggest problem is usually non attentive divers ruin your dive, it takes a while to groom a suitable buddy but just like soup you have to try a few before you know what you like.

also having posed this question on a public forum with your name attached can increase liability a bit, what’s life without some risk.

Normally; this would not be an issue, both certified, you non-pro no liability but your gear = possible liability.

now if you get along with these guys go for it, you’ll know soon enough if you want to go with either into the pacific, the biggest problem is usually non attentive divers ruin your dive, it takes a while to groom a suitable buddy but just like soup you have to try a few before you know what you like.

also having posed this question on a public forum with your name attached can increase liability a bit, what’s life without some risk.
I’m probably taking on enough risk with the whole urchin diving thing. But there are other people involved in that venture so it’s not all on me.
We also have a pretty good waiver.
But yeah, a little risk means a little more fun and also makes life a little more interesting.

No problem I can see. I just wouldn't refer to it or even mention it all as a "Refresher"..... It's just an opinion..... "hey, check out my skills and let me know what you think!" Or even better...... "hey, will you take a video of me while I run through some of my skills...

And definitely don't ever refer to it as "Reactivating" anything or you might end up in Scuba Jail or on a long thread on a SCUBA forum.

For sure you’ll want to phrase it as just divers giving friendly suggestions to each other, but unless you’re having them sign a waiver, how what transpired might be interpreted may depend on more than just what was said, or someone’s memory of what was said. I’m a risk-averse nutcase, though.

1703540751804.png

Yeah right how we've ADVANCED!

View attachment 817514

Yeah right how we've ADVANCED!
Yep.... and with the mask on his forehead, our "advancement" tells us all that he's in an obvious state of panic...

PS...... I think the Aqua Lung logo in the lower left corner really illustrates a very important visual message for all of us!

I have a couple friends who are certified divers but have not been in the water for a long time.
Both of them recently have expressed interest in starting back up.

One guy got certified about 4 years ago and dived once since then in Hawaii using rental gear. He has his own gear which I originally set him up with (Freedom plate with VDH 35 wing, MK25 with a G250 and R190, G/B SPG) but he didn’t want to take it??
Anyway, I was there in Monterey when he got certified, I dived with him and a few others and led them around on a little tour of the metridium fields on their last day. He’s a natural and was also a freediver/ab diver so he’s pretty good in the water.
But I’m not sure I’m comfortable just taking him out scuba diving off our coast doing a beach dive just yet.
I’d like to see some basic skills performed in a pool first.

The other guy got certified probably over 20 to 25 years ago and has not dived in a long time.
He was also a local abalone freediver and has scuba dived up at Sea Ranch a few times. He has access to a pool, but has no gear other than a wetsuit. I know nothing about him other than what he tells me.

My question is: Is it OK to get these guys into the pool and go over some skills with them and maybe go over some fundamental physiology even though I’m not an instructor? They are both certified so technically they could rent tanks and gear and go diving on their own if they wanted.
Or do you think I’m just setting myself up?
You're kidding, who would accept that as a refresher?

Considering as a kid I grew up watching Cousteau, where the Aqualung symbol, was that of the aqualung
and was never into scribbling aqualung symbols on peoples faces, when they fell asleep on the schoolbus

I will present this one instead as a show of my undying love for buddy diving as long as the buddy is a girl

51LhhnANLPL._SL500_.jpg

and look at em today going down past 100 metres barely
moving like a submarine but with the gear on the outside

Spooky scary, give me being smashed by the ocean dangerous any day

Back
Top Bottom