Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my biggest peeve is divers who don't take command signals seriously. i've thumbed several dives with new buddies and had them ignore it. since i don't want to leave without my buddy, there i am still diving when i want it to be done! i hate that! then another time, the new buddy thumbed, i returned a thumb & an ok and started turning around, and he *went on diving*! he ignored his own thumb! amazing, and not in a good way. :(

*lots* to be said for constant buddies you can trust.

a slight peeve is someone wanting to know my gas status. i'll let you know when it's time to turn, promise...

Yes, this thread should be posted in the new diver section! As a newly certified diver (Feb), all of your irritations have been quite eye opening and funny! Since my husband will usually be my buddy, I hope I don't have some of these problems/issues, however he might. lol! I'll be able to give my pet peeves after we return from our upcoming trip doing our first real diving in the southern Caribbean, I can't wait!

Thanks. There were several times I wasn't sure I'd make it, but I'm so glad I did. It's great to be able to glean so much info from so many experienced divers. SB has been a great place to get idea, help and encouragement!

If I quoted all the great, hilarious posts in this thread, I might break the multi-quote function! (drbill said "Tee hee" lol!)

Ought not this entire thread be copied to the new diver section?

:wink:

I'm not sure this is a "new diver" topic. There are a lot of peevish habits folks have developed through the years. I am far less annoyed by a brand new or timid diver who listens to those around him/her and makes mistakes than I am by long-time divers who know everything and still act like morons!

My biggest pet peeve is when I get together for diving and the SI drags out so long that we only get 1 or 2 dives in (on a full dive day- planned for 3 or 4 dives). 2 dives is okay, but if we only do 2 dives because we had a 4-hour-long SI, I'm batty! I'm there for the diving- and I do love the SIs and I love my buddies, but I only want to be out of the water long enough to change tanks and ward off a trip to the chamber!

My next biggest is probably buddies who don't talk about the dive. If something I did bothered you or something you did bothered me, we should have a chat. Period. If there was a communication problem, we should resolve it. I'd much prefer to know that I annoyed you or did something wrong than to have a happy-go-lucky SI in ignorance. I'll like you better if you tell me I'm a moron... because over time I'll be less of a moron and more of a diver!

No, Steve, this is not permission for you to mouth off :)

I hate it when my buddy jumps in the water and heads straight down to the bottom like a porpoise. Meanwhile, I'm doing my circles and slowly working my way down to meet her as fast as I can get my ears to equalize. Can I help it if I was cursed with abnormally narrow eustachian tubes? Then we get on the boat and she has the nerve to point out how she wasted 100 PSI waiting on me to get down! Wives, what are you gonna do with 'em?

I hate it when my buddy jumps in the water and heads straight down to the bottom like a porpoise. Meanwhile, I'm doing my circles and slowly working my way down to meet her as fast as I can get my ears to equalize. Can I help it if I was cursed with abnormally narrow eustachian tubes? Then we get on the boat and she has the nerve to point out how she wasted 100 PSI waiting on me to get down! Wives, what are you gonna do with 'em?

See my post about chaining em to the bottom.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom