Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hillbillydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a dive buddy that just gets on my nerves so bad I strangle him!Every time we go diving he tailgates me,I cannot stand to feel my fins hitting something on every stroke.I've told him to back off a little but it never fails,there he is back on the tips of my fins,I've even accidently kicked his reg out of his mouth one time.You would think he would learn but oh well.Other than that he is a pretty good to dive with so I guess I won't strangle him.Do any of you have dive buddies who do things that just drive you crazy?

That bugs the hell out of me too. Dive buddies ramming their faces, mask and regulators into my fins.....

Things that drive me crazy? A dive buddy who dives, as a friend of mine puts it, "DFA" (Death from Above). You know -- The person who stays behind and above you, where you can't POSSIBLY see them? I go completely bonkers after a while, doing helicopter turns to try to find them, and eventually spotting them above me.

Another thing is people who use lights on lanyards, and let them hang when they want to do something with both hands. The light spins and creates all kinds of spurious signals. I jump, get ready to deploy a reg or solve a problem, and it's nothing . . . just an unattended light.

But probably the thing that makes me the craziest is silting. Stopping to look at something, and having it disappear because my buddy has swum over to look at it and we are now in a silt cloud.

I'm sure I have personal habits that are equally irritating, but because they're mine, I don't know what they are :)

Just a side note, but divers who tailgate or as another put it "DFA" you tend to be less confident divers and follow where they can see you easiest - behind and somewhat above. Next time get them to lead and do the same to them. When they go nuts because they aren't able to see you, it will be a lot easier to express your issues!

...won't shut up out of the water. Knows it all. One-up's every dive you've done. Gets irritated if you're a few minutes late. Always wants to do drills during the dive instead of just relaxing. Uses boat, tanks, HE analyzer and other gear belonging to buddies, but is too cheap to buy his own...

What a jerk.

Oh, wait!! That's ME!! :11:

Every time we go diving he tailgates me

This is my biggest pet peeve!!! I ask my dive buddies to NOT stay behind me because #1 I can't see them and #2 when I have to constantly turn my head to look for them, it causes my neck seal (drysuit) to open up a little and I get that cold trickle of water down my chest/back...

And then they have the gall to say "you kept kicking me"... uh.. duh, I wonder how that happened? Maybe because you were in the one place I asked you NOT to be? :lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom