Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...won't shut up out of the water.
how bout the ones that insist on talking UNDERWATER!
you kevin, shut up already

I can't understand a word you say topside either. Try talking American English, drop that dopey Liverpool accent, you've been here ten years already.

And your wetsuit stinks too. Stop dragging dead fish around.

please dive where I cannot see you, you mess up all my pictures

Things that drive me crazy? A dive buddy who dives, as a friend of mine puts it, "DFA" (Death from Above). You know -- The person who stays behind and above you, where you can't POSSIBLY see them? I go completely bonkers after a while, doing helicopter turns to try to find them, and eventually spotting them above me.
Yes drives me insane. I have turned over and swum upside down so I could see them.
I have pointed out that it drives me nuts but some buddies quickly drift back into this position. When asked why, they reply, so I always know where you are.
I reply "BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE"

Why not ask him to dive side by side?

Someone needs to explain this one to me. Sychronized diving??? I tell my kids to do this with me but in reality even I have trouble with this. How can you do a whole dive anticipating every move your buddy makes? I know I'm exagerating but one person inevitably leads and at best the other follows slightly behind and to the side. The best chance of this happening is a dive over a structure you are familiar with and a good dive plan. But now add a camera and or a hunter and forget about it! One of my buddies likes to hunt lead sinkers. He generally finds a place that a lot of fishermen frequent and finds a piece of structure that snags fishing line. This worksout well for me because where there is structure there is fish and where there is fish there is I with my camera!:D

DFA.. that is pretty funny. I had forgotted how much I hate that. You have to spin around, roll over and look into the glare of the surface to see them which ruins your "night vision" and makes water run up my nose. The only thing worse is when they anadvertantly point their loaded spearguns at me.

And then they have the gall to say "you kept kicking me"... uh.. duh, I wonder how that happened? Maybe because you were in the one place I asked you NOT to be? :lotsalove:

Use a frog kick next time, after a good simaltaneous slap of your fins on both sides of their head they might get the message!:rofl3:

. The only thing worse is when they anadvertantly point their loaded spearguns at me.

This is probably because you won't shut up "underwater", you dive behind and above them or below them silting it up, you grab unto their fins when a big shark cruises by or the dive lite dies, you forgot to rinse out your wetsuit after the last 10 dives and everyone notices on the boat.......did you mean they point at you underwater?:11:

My son does the DFA thing too. I jump him after every dive but nothing changes. Drives me nuts.

My son does the DFA thing too. I jump him after every dive but nothing changes. Drives me nuts.

On your next shallow dive just splash as normal then snorkel or if you don't use one use your reg and stay on the surface. When he asks whatsup??? then tell him your neck is tired!:D

Well,... I'm going to tell on myself a little. I probably drive my buddies insane being so slow to get my gear on & situated. I can even have a 30 min. head start, but the struggle of putting the drysuit on, then working my way into my harness, getting the regulators where they belong & hooking up the drysuit inflater hose (Oops, I forgot my computer or my mask), I can still be 5- 10 min. behind my buddy. Usually they are already in the water to keep from overheating while waiting for my slow behind to catch up:lotsalove:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom