Rental computers and newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The solution is not diving? I am pretty sure most dive operators won't let you in the water without one (or the equivalent).

I was diving in Cayman Brac quite a few years ago, and a woman emerged from a dive with her husband, and the DM on the boat asked her where her computer was. She said she was just sharing her husband's. Nope. Did he have tables? No. Well, that was it. No diving for her until she came up with a computer.
mmm in the past i use quiet few dive shop and some divers didn't have a dive computer. Actually i did couple of dive this summer people didn't where dive computer but didn't pay too much attention of all this. cheers

OK, stipulated, (waves hands in surrender.).

But 10-20 minutes at 10m on EAN38 will wash away any sins from small, perhaps inadvertent, excursions beyond NDL.
True, but since most safety stops are just 3-5mins at 5m, and since most nitrox is is 32% or less, the sins better be very small. or better nonexixtant.

True, but since most safety stops are just 3-5mins at 5m, and since most nitrox is is 32% or less, the sins better be very small. or better nonexixtant.
"Even outfits like Aldora, which prides itself on the length of its dives, will have a lot of that extra time spent drifting along at the nitrogen loading equivalent of safety stop depth given their high 02 level nitrox mixes."

I was talking specifically about Aldora and the long dives which you would think would result in NDL issues. For example, our dives averaged around 75 minutes for the week I spent with them. But quite a bit of that was drifting midwater at the end of the dive on the deeper reefs and they did use 38% for the shallower night and second dives.

I should state that this was 5 years ago. I don't know their current practices.

"Even outfits like Aldora, which prides itself on the length of its dives, will have a lot of that extra time spent drifting along at the nitrogen loading equivalent of safety stop depth given their high 02 level nitrox mixes."

I was talking specifically about Aldora. Our dives averaged around 75 minutes for the week I spent with them. But quite a bit of that was drifting midwater at the end of the dive on the deeper reefs and they did use 38% for the shallower night and second dives.
I've not dived with them. If they spend 10mins at 10m with 38% that could help a lot.
But it is not a safety stop; it is a perhaps unnecessary deco stop.
And it is certainly uncommon....

I was talking specifically about Aldora and the long dives which you would think would result in NDL issues. For example, our dives averaged around 75 minutes for the week I spent with them. But quite a bit of that was drifting midwater at the end of the dive on the deeper reefs and they did use 38% for the shallower night and second
I used Aldora about 1.5 years ago, and our dives averaged well over 80 minutes--some were around 90. We used 32% for every dive. We did spend a lot of time in the mid range, but IMO it was not because of any strategy related to decompression. The announced plan for each dive was to begin a final ascent toward the safety stop depth when one of us reached a certain PSI. None of us ever reached that PSI, so the DM would finally just call the dive. I think we were all grateful when he did. I think no one wanted to have the shame of being the one to end the dive because we were low on gas.

I used Aldora about 1.5 years ago, and our dives averaged well over 80 minutes--some were around 90. We used 32% for every dive. We did spend a lot of time in the mid range, but IMO it was not because of any strategy related to decompression. The announced plan for each dive was to begin a final ascent toward the safety stop depth when one of us reached a certain PSI. None of us ever reached that PSI, so the DM would finally just call the dive. I think we were all grateful when he did. I think no one wanted to have the shame of being the one to end the dive because we were low on gas.
One could always give the “I’m cold” signal.. 😀

My .02, of which you haven't paid for...

The shop is renting you equipment, not knowledge. It's up to you, not the shop, to understand how to use the equipment. The entitlement of people who rent equipment and then demand people teach them how to use it is appalling. Not to mention, you can learn how to use most computers in 3.5 minutes with a basic google search.

Takeaway- Take ownership.

My .02, of which you haven't paid for...

The shop is renting you equipment, not knowledge. It's up to you, not the shop, to understand how to use the equipment. The entitlement of people who rent equipment and then demand people teach them how to use it is appalling. Not to mention, you can learn how to use most computers in 3.5 minutes with a basic google search.

Takeaway- Take ownership.
totally agree with you !

totally agree with you !
same thing that people get certified and receive a card without the propre knowledge or training. This is on all level of training, course etc... They are a liability to operator and other diver and themselves.

It bother a me a lot when you see people with double for exemple just because they thing they look cool and they don't know crap about it or handle emergency.

I thought the OP made an important observation and I can see both sides. It’s important that dive operators don’t take such great care of people that they lull them into a false sense of security.

IMO (DM who has led dives in Hawaii) the safety brief should include some language about the dive profile and asking if everyone is good with their computer, that’s the time.

Even though it’s the divers responsibility, ideally you achieve some overlapped vigilance (redundancy) with a good operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom