considering liveaboard to Red Sea; can't do a lot of currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are considering doing a liveaboard in the Red Sea in May or June of this year. He has a problem with one knee that results in his having a weak kick. He can dive in minimal currents such as Bonaire, and he can, of course, drift. He cannot swim across a significant current. We prefer shallower dives so as to have longer bottom time, but can go deeper as needed. We would love to see larger sea life if possible. The liveaboards listings offer a choice of north, south, or combination. Taking his problems with swimming across currents in mind, do you think that a Red Sea liveaboard is a good plan for us? If so, what sites would you say to go to and what sites should he avoid due to current? We obviously don't want to do a liveaboard where he has to sit out most of the sites.

There will definitely be strong currents in the South so I would avoid that. The North will have some currents- I remember really strong surface currents on the Thistlegorm- but overall is probably the better choice and other than the Thistlegorm it was mostly quiet. Unfortunately currents are what bring the big stuff so all of that is down South. The North is some really nice reefs and wrecks but it's also pretty crowded.

I take it from what you say about the south that we shouldn’t count on them just being drift dives that don’t require kicking across?

There will definitely be strong currents in the South so I would avoid that.
Define "South". Fury Shoals are little to no current, so is St. Johns. Some of the worst currents I had was on the Thislegorm, were we were unable to dive on multiple ocoassions.
We never did need to swim back against the current, and we even changed plans mid-dive due to up comimg currrents against us and where always picked up.

Define "South". Fury Shoals are little to no current, so is St. Johns. Some of the worst currents I had was on the Thislegorm, were we were unable to dive on multiple ocoassions.
We never did need to swim back against the current, and we even changed plans mid-dive due to up comimg currrents against us and where always picked up.
South could be brothers, elphinstone, Daedalus, St. John. at least according to what I see on liveaboard.com.

I would suggest a ‘South & St John’s’ trip would give the best option. Typically relaxed diving without too much current. There are plenty of dives on offer on this route so if you want to sit a couple out. you will still get plenty of dives in. I did this route a couple of years ago and I can’t really remember much current. There are normal 1 or 2 dives at Elphinstone which can have current, but gives the chance to see Oceanics and Hammerheads (slim chance).

Define "South".

I meant BDE.

I take it from what you say about the south that we shouldn’t count on them just being drift dives
They are drift dives but I remember there being a few dives that required kicking against really strong surface currents to avoid being pushed into the reef. It's been a few years so maybe someone else can chime in! Also all of the dives are done from tenders/RIBs and getting back into them in a strong surface current can be challenging if you have have mobility issues.

This might help for a description of the area and sites. Liveaboards in Red Sea

Just curious...why do you want to go to the Middle East to dive with all that's going on? Red Sea liveaboards have had a bit of trouble lately with sinking boats and fires and poor quality operators.

This might help for a description of the area and sites. Liveaboards in Red Sea

Just curious...why do you want to go to the Middle East to dive with all that's going on? Red Sea liveaboards have had a bit of trouble lately with sinking boats and fires and poor quality operators.
A reasonable question. I understand that the Houthi attacks are much further south than the area where the liveaboards operate, so I believe it would be safe.

Probably safe but I hear the internet sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom