Considering a trip to Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never been to Philippines before and am considering a dive trip for husband and I. He has trouble with a knee and so cannot manage significant current, prefer shallower dives. Obviously we want to see as much ocean life as possible. If we can't do a liveaboard, what sites would you suggest for land based diving? If you have any suggestions about dive shops or places to stay that would be great too. Thanks,

I've never been to Philippines before and am considering a dive trip for husband and I. He has trouble with a knee and so cannot manage significant current, prefer shallower dives. Obviously we want to see as much ocean life as possible. If we can't do a liveaboard, what sites would you suggest for land based diving? If you have any suggestions about dive shops or places to stay that would be great too. Thanks,

Diving there is NOT challenging but the stairs?

Most dives locales in the Philippines can be quite shallow and not much current (unless you're going to the wrecks in Palawan or threshers in malapascua, etc). Moalboal is good. Bohol is good. And PG/Anilao is quite popular (never been, can't vouch). I'm biased to Camiguin because the island is a paradise and I love it there.

As it's your first time, I'd keep the logistics simple and focus on Anilao and Puerta Galera, both just a few hours by car south of Manila (PG also requires a short boat ride). They are basically facing 3ach other on opposite sides of an island channel. Both have great diving, with maybe a bit more variety in PG and Anilao having a bit more muck diving macro focus.

Travelling in the country is NOT difficult at all even for the first time visitor but do require careful planning.
Two main entry ports: Manila and Cebu. The former has direct non stop flight from JFK, LAX and SFO by PAL while Cebu will require a change of flight if arriving from USA.
Diving in the country is not challenging(strong current) in most places.
Stay away from shore dive with knee issue. Boat diving is so much more civilized and the crew can remove the gear on the surface. No need to climb back to the boat with full gear.

@jomcclain
Would you consider Lembeh in Indonesia? It is a well known for macro and the current is extremely mild.
Other places around the area(Northern Sulawesi) is Bangka and Bunaken.
Entry through Manado from Singapore.

As it's your first time, I'd keep the logistics simple and focus on Anilao and Puerta Galera, both just a few hours by car south of Manila (PG also requires a short boat ride). They are basically facing 3ach other on opposite sides of an island channel. Both have great diving, with maybe a bit more variety in PG and Anilao having a bit more muck diving macro focus.
There can often be strong currents in PG, which the OP is trying to avoid.

There can often be strong currents in PG, which the OP is trying to avoid.
That's pretty much true anywhere.. just avoid the known high current sites and don't dive around New/Full moons 🌝🌝🌝

That's pretty much true anywhere.. just avoid the known high current sites and don't dive around New/Full moons 🌝🌝🌝
Non sense!!
You do not have much knowledge on the topic.
I believe most divers would not like the idea of kicking against current in whatever the phase of the moon is. Just drift with the current.

In PG there are couple of sites where current can have significant impact on the dive but TIDE TABLE has minimize the risk of it. SLICK TIDE!!!!!!

I do not think you have ever been to Maldives on LoB.

1. Puerto Galera was wonderful last September. I dove with Arkipelago Divers for 9 days and loved it. My 8th trip to The Philippines in 20 years.
2. Southern Leyte is a hidden gem. Been there several times. Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, Peter's Dive Resort and South Leyte Divers are all very professional.
3. Malapascua is also a gem. Well-known and a bit of a "mission" to reach, but worth it. I used TSD (Thresher Shark Divers), but there are many good dive operations there.
4. My overall assessment of diving in The Philippines is that is normally quite easy and gentle. The value is very good and the people are very friendly. I am biased, as my wife of 21 years is from Ormoc City, Leyte.

If you decide on Anilao I would suggest finding a resort that does not involve a lot of stairs, especially with any type of knee issues.
A lot of resorts do have a number of stairs up to a hundred, but there are some where you can drive right down to your resort and dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom