ISO: Volunteering opportunities in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
My husband and I spend 2 months every year diving around the Philippines. We love it there. We’re both Divemasters and enjoy photography. We’ve volunteered in ocean clean ups and would like to get involved in marine conversation. Does anyone know of events or opportunities between mid April to mid May 2024?

Thanks in advance
J

Hello Julie! I am absolutely new here and I'm just looking around. I own land in the Philippines and my friend who is a dive master and instructor is on the island of Mindanao right now where our land is located. Our plan is to build a dive resort there. We would love for you and your husband to come out for free anytime from April to May and give us some tips on how to build a good one. We are also looking to do some ocean clean ups and marine wildlife conservation projects. Anyway, I stumbled upon your question and was wondering if you're still interested. You would have to pay for your own transportation costs to get to our land in northern Mindanao (the province of Lanao del Norte) but I would totally house you for free. You would also just contribute to your food expenses. If you're interested, please let me know!

I can recommend People and the Sea in Malapascua, Cebu, and Marine Conservation Philippines, in Zamboanguita, Negros, as environmental NGOs which take in volunteers. Both have a few projects going where they accept volunteers.

Hello Julie! I am absolutely new here and I'm just looking around. I own land in the Philippines and my friend who is a dive master and instructor is on the island of Mindanao right now where our land is located. Our plan is to build a dive resort there. We would love for you and your husband to come out for free anytime from April to May and give us some tips on how to build a good one. We are also looking to do some ocean clean ups and marine wildlife conservation projects. Anyway, I stumbled upon your question and was wondering if you're still interested. You would have to pay for your own transportation costs to get to our land in northern Mindanao (the province of Lanao del Norte) but I would totally house you for free. You would also just contribute to your food expenses. If you're interested, please let me know!
Hi,
This sounds very interesting. Let me do a little research first and we’ll see if this is possible. If you could send me a map with a pin drop to see where the project will be. How is the access to the water? Do you have a boat? Access to tanks? Do you have access to tanks and do they fill with Nitrox? How is security for foreign travellers? If you have pictures that would also be great. You can reach me at julie_ml_hamel@hotmail.com

Thanks
Julie

I can recommend People and the Sea in Malapascua, Cebu, and Marine Conservation Philippines, in Zamboanguita, Negros, as environmental NGOs which take in volunteers. Both have a few projects going where they accept volunteers.
Yes, MCP are very good, but I believe they are all paid positions. Also, look for Lamave. They do great work here in the Philippines- Want to contribute to marine conservation? Volunteer with LAMAVE. — Large Marine Vertebrates Research Institute Philippines

@JulieInRevy
There is a kind of whaleshark study centre around San Ricardo in Southern Leyte.
I cannot offer much information on that organization but should not be that difficult to find out on line.
Local dive shops usually pick up an expert from there before commencing the whaleshark tour. The foreign lady working there at the moment is a very competent free diver.
The season usually last until May.
Good luck.

It looks like these conservation groups are asking for a substantial amount of money ( not for lodging or food)on top of the free volunteer work. I recently enquired with the Coral reef and rainforest conservation Project out of Negros, they never replied to my requests but spoke with a diver with extensive conservation experience and he was told he needed to pay 2000$ for the course regardless of his experience.
I am disappointed , I offered my time but not my money, lots of crown of thorns to inject with vinegar and garbage removal to do on my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom