Philippines trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can fly into Dumaguete, just make sure you have transport arranged if you are going to Dauin. On my trip there I had to pay 1kphp from the airport, my friend had to pay 1700. There is no grab there. Trikes can’t take you the whole way, they can only go halfway and then you have to find another trike. My plan the next time I go is to rent a car. The roads in Dumaguete seem to be decently drivable. I woudn’t think of trying to drive in Cebu City or Manila.
P1,000.00 from Dumaguete airport to Dauin! You cannot be serious!!
Not that many locals would pay such a huge sum for transport.
Grab? What is wrong with the jeepney/trike?

Thanks for the report on Camiguin @jeremyl. "Decent" seems to be the most common opinion on the diving there. White Island, Mantigue Island, and Jidgup were sites I was looking at. Hopefully you'll get better weather and vis on your next dives. Glad to hear about Volcan Beach, since it was a place we're considering. Also, where were your "MUCH better" snorkeling places?

@Johnboy70_99 and @Centrals, thanks for the info on transport in Dauin. I'll be sure to plan that out ahead of time.

Thanks for the report on Camiguin @jeremyl. "Decent" seems to be the most common opinion on the diving there. White Island, Mantigue Island, and Jidgup were sites I was looking at. Hopefully you'll get better weather and vis on your next dives. Glad to hear about Volcan Beach, since it was a place we're considering. Also, where were your "MUCH better" snorkeling places?

@Johnboy70_99 and @Centrals, thanks for the info on transport in Dauin. I'll be sure to plan that out ahead of time.
MUCH better snorkel places were not in Asia, but in the Carib. I can't honestly recall snorkeling in SE Asia - I come here to dive, and I come without my wife (who snorkels but doesn't dive) so I probably almost never snorkel in Asia. But why I say it is not exciting is based on how deep the corals are most places. It's not like parts of Indonesia I have been where there are very nice shallow soft coral gardens. At least nowhere I have seen. People do snorkel around White Island and other places, but I didn't hear any rave reviews.

We did see nice things diving. House reef we saw lots of nudis, turtles, several of the smaller colorful crabs you find, a frogfish, I found an ornate ghost pipefish. But I have been to many very spectacular places so my decent is another mans very good.

I finished my motorbike trip riding around all day and had a fantastic time. Several waterfalls and such. Very beautiful viewpoints, and just driving through some villages was a great time. And I only looped around one side. You could easily spend a few happy days just exploring on a motorbike. There are also some great restaurants scattered around. It is a very chill-vibe island. They have not really recovered from pandemic but there is a lot of infrastructure (roads) work going on. And people seem pretty happy.

I will be heading to Moalboal->Santander->Dauin->Panglao->Malapascua so I am curious how things compare underwater. I have heard the diving here should be similar to Dauin and Siquijor. Also I did not try the much diving here, but I am told it is pretty good. But with 3 dive days I wanted to hit the major spots.

If you like peace and quiet, Southern Leyte is for you. Been there many times. Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, Peter's Dive Resort and South Leyte Divers are all good operations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom