Philippines trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R4GiantM

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I'm planning a future trip to the Philippines and wanted to ask for some recommendations. Here is a general overview:
1. Most interested in seeing wildlife: sharks, rays, turtles, octopus, dolphins, healthy corals, etc.
2. Hopeful for whale sharks and mantas, but understand it's not a given.
3. Loosely targeting the Donsol/Tiaco Island, Tat Tay/Palawan, and Leyte areas for land-based accommodation, but open to other suggestions.
4. Prefer a good house reef because a few of us will be snorkelers and not diving. (Will there be enough snorkeling for non-divers?)
5. Prefer peace and quiet vs. vibrant night life/party scene.
6. We're active adventurers who enjoy exploring off the beaten path.
7. Can't get vacation time during the 3-4 month window for a LOB to Tubbataha... :(

The snorkeling and accommodation options are probably the biggest planning obstacles right now, but any feedback would be great!

Accommodation is not an issue but places suitable for both diver and snorkeller is another story.

1. Outdoor activities.
Camiguin, an island of seven volcanoes, plenty of hiking trails etc. Very few overseas tourists make it there. Diving is also available.

2. Healthy Corals.
Southern Leyte, the place is differently very quiet and there are sites for snorkeller. Possibility for whaleshark(snorkelling ONLY) during winter.

3. Thresher Shark.
Malapascua, but the site for the shark might not suitable for the snorkeller. Popular for divers from all over the world but the island is relatively quiet.

4. Whaleshark.
Oslob, suitable for both diver and snorkeller.

Port of entry:
Cebu City

Accommodation is not an issue but places suitable for both diver and snorkeller is another story.

1. Outdoor activities.
Camiguin, an island of seven volcanoes, plenty of hiking trails etc. Very few overseas tourists make it there. Diving is also available.

2. Healthy Corals.
Southern Leyte, the place is differently very quiet and there are sites for snorkeller. Possibility for whaleshark(snorkelling ONLY) during winter.

3. Thresher Shark.
Malapascua, but the site for the shark might not suitable for the snorkeller. Popular for divers from all over the world but the island is relatively quiet.

4. Whaleshark.
Oslob, suitable for both diver and snorkeller.

Port of entry:
Cebu City
Thanks @Centrals. This is super helpful. It seems the Philippines favors divers over snorkelers, so finding places suitable for both is definitely challenging. I'll definitely check into your first three suggestions, but there are concerns about Oslob due to some ethical issues, so we may pivot away from there.

I do not think Philippines is the only country in SE Asia favours divers over snorkellers. As a avid diver I never paid much attention to what the snorkellers required. And I rarely shared a boat with snorkellers in most places that I had been.
The whalesharks at Oslob is FREE to go anywhere if they wanted to.

The locals that make their money from the whalesharks to put food on their table use to kill the whalesharks for food, I think the whalesharks prefer the way it is now :)
Fair points to both @Centrals and @Mike1967 on Oslob. In addition, I agree that other countries favor divers over snorkelers. It just seemed more skewed than normal when I began my research.

I know it was 10 years ago, but how has Southern Leyte recovered from the typhoon? How much did the typhoon affect the diving and/or snorkeling in the area?

Also, is two weeks enough for Malapascua + Southern Leyte? Planning to fly into Manila first and then transfer to Leyte, then Malapascua, then back to Manila... Does that seem reasonable? Open to suggestions, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom