considering liveaboard to Red Sea; can't do a lot of currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please stay away from Egypt - it's too crowded any way :popcorn:

I would not do BDE on a one week trip, expecially if the trip runs the usual Thursday to Thursday, as all boats will hit BD&E on the same dates.

Research your boat! Go with a company with a good track record and ask loads of questions before you book. This kind of half assed crap is happening to much.

Research your boat! Go with a company with a good track record and ask loads of questions before you book. This kind of half assed crap is happening to much.
Compare the safety issues on the Sea Legend to the list recently posted in another thread discussing liveaboard safety

I meant BDE.

They are drift dives but I remember there being a few dives that required kicking against really strong surface currents to avoid being pushed into the reef. It's been a few years so maybe someone else can chime in! Also all of the dives are done from tenders/RIBs and getting back into them in a strong surface current can be challenging if you have have mobility issues.
Great point, I'm just back from a Northern wrecks, Ras Mohamed, Tiran and The Brothers trip (Ive done BDE before). Whilst current isn't so bad on the Northern route (but you'll still get it), we should all remember surface conditions as well. The swell/waves at Abu Nuhas (for Giannis D, Carnatic etc) made boarding the zodiac for pick up 'interesting' and required effort, (one chap simply fell off the ladder and was 10m away in the blink of an eye). Likewise at The Brothers, surface conditions meant some effort was required, I wouldn't fancy it with a dodgy knee (depending on the extent). Current was ripping and vis was terrible when we arrived at the 'gorm, so we made our first dive a penetration, not so much of an issue as you're up and down the line, we also had a line to use to get to the ladders too, which made life easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom