Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, the rotating dive light on a lanyard and the head lamps is a BIG one for me.

I have to say that someone who has gone through their air a bit faster than their buddy and uses the strategy of staying above them so that they may continue a little longer (but still within sight/OOA swimming distance) is fine as long as it's adequately signed/communicated and agreed upon between the buddies.

I was recently on a boat dive. My computer was set to a slightly more conservative level than my buddy's. When I started edging into the yellow zone, I signed that I was going to continue above them a bit and showed him my computer. We agreed and kept each other in sight. My computer went back into the green and
he got to continue shooting his pics. I got to complete our expensive boat dive without limiting my buddy's dive length. We still could glance at each other every few seconds and our effective cooperation underwater ensured that we'd dive together again.

Not everything is always black and white. There is still a safe middle ground and one that keeps both buddy's happy. Next dive with him we'll agree on a conservative nitrogen setting or graph color beforehand.

Ok the Mrs wanted me to correct myself, she says I hog the bed and she ends up on the floor :confused: But I do not recall that.

As far as the camera issue, guess you would not want to dive with me

TimDSLR.jpg

So the best solution to the issue, buy your dive buddy a camera too :shakehead:

DAa640.jpg

So now we are equally bad buddies that always loose each other and always fight over the grouper and eels. :11:

Not really though.

Ok heres another one that has happened to me:You dive buddy gets directly above you and seems to forget "bouyancy control" and sinks down on top of you,I once got pinned on the bottom of the gulf with my leg pinned up against my back (like a quad stretch)when my dive buddy did this,then he looked at me like "what are you doing under me?"

Yep, has to be the dive buddy who can't be found. They are either above, below, or behind you. The second biggest problem would be the one who shines the light in your eyes.

Touching the reef. I know you are out there. I will find you, then I will hurt you.

:lurk2:

Ok heres another one that has happened to me:You dive buddy gets directly above you and seems to forget "bouyancy control" and sinks down on top of you

Or the ones who descend and land right on top of your head...
Or when 10 people all decide to hang on the exact spot on the ascent line (at the same time of course) while you're doing your safety stop.. resulting in you getting kicked, the line being jerked around, people resting on your head, flashights & cameras whacking you in the face, etc... arghhh, thank goodness for jon lines.

People that don't like me killing anything :wink:.

Ohhh....that will make an underwater naturalist have a heart attack. Oh...too late I'm having one. :shakehead:

I dived with the DM from my OW course, in Cozumel. By that trip, I had over 50 dives, and most of them, without him. While I'm happily, peacefully drifting along in the current in my Zen space, every five minutes, he swims up and tugs on my fin tip, demanding to know how much air I have. Dammit, I watch my gauges and check them every few minutes, and there are better ways to get my attention than to come up behind me and yank on my fin! Grrrrrr... About the fifth time he did it, fantasies of ventilating him with my dive knife began to emerge in my head.

Yes, I'm slow & methodical getting myself together:shakehead:. I try to get a head start every chance I can or at least make it very clear to my buddy that I AM SLOW! So far, most of my buddies have been very understanding (just hope my Adv. Nitrox instructor is as understanding:D).

At least 4 people seem to have taken my post the wrong way so I clearly didn't express myself well. I'm not at all into a gearing-up speed contest. I think "methodical" and "meticulous" is good. What chaps me are those who are slow because they are scatterbrained and disorganized and distracted. The person who sits there staring out at the water while others are putting on their wetsuits and then falls behind. The person who says "I'm almost ready" which means what exactly? That I can almost jump in? It's almost worthless information. Tell me when you're actually ready. Then there's the person who declares they are ready then after you enter the water remembers they didn't defog their mask or starts thinking maybe they need more weight. No, methodical is good and usually prevents all that.

Back
Top Bottom