Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things that drive me crazy? A dive buddy who dives, as a friend of mine puts it, "DFA" (Death from Above). You know -- The person who stays behind and above you, where you can't POSSIBLY see them? I go completely bonkers after a while, doing helicopter turns to try to find them, and eventually spotting them above me.

Oh boy, can I identify with that. My "former" dive buddy was always about 10 or more feet above me trying to conserve his air. It got to the point that when I turned to check on him, "UP" was the first direction I looked. Even though I explained to him "many" times that dive buddies need to stay close I could never get him to. :headshake:

Anyone that touches anything, disturbs anything, damages anything, takes anything (other than maybe a dead seashell), hurts anything or kills anything, silts anything.

Anyone who shows up with junk and broken, ill prepared, non functional equipment or missing a mask after traveling 1,000 miles to get there and are late or never ready.

Photographers who smash the reef with their cameras.

People who carve their inititals in the reef, wreck or rock.

People who remove things from wrecks.

People who swim with their arms and knock my mask off and poke me in the eye with all of the spastic movements.

People who think long checklists are fun or atrange drllls and ask me over and over if I am OK and then grab my spg.

People who crowd me especially in good viz, what gives with that!

People who party all night and drink and then spend the next day vomiting all over me.

PadI

I prefer to dive solo as a result whenever possible.

N

Just a side note, but divers who tailgate or as another put it "DFA" you tend to be less confident divers and follow where they can see you easiest - behind and somewhat above. Next time get them to lead

I totally agree with you about them not being confident divers. My "former" dive buddy who was notorious at DFA diving started complaining that I always lead the dives. So I said go for it, you lead the next one. There were 4 of us and when we stoped to wait for the 4th diver to take a picture, my dive buddy just kept on going until he was out of site and never once looked back. Now I know I could have left the other two and caught up with my buddy, but I chose to stay just to see if he was ever going to look back to see if I was ok. After he found out there was more to it then just being the diver in front, he never complained or wanted to lead another dive again. :eyebrow:

Looks like I am another with the DFA. Those that I have dove with that do the DFA are usually the ones that are air hogs. So they figure that they can stay 10' above and last as long as you.

Personally I don't want anyone following me. I want them either left or right and slightly behind. I want to be able to either turn my head or slightly roll and see them. I'm not a duck and I don't follow like one.

I agree with the DFA. They are usually diver's who don't have good buoyancy skills and therefore feel the need to be well off the bottom as well as behind.

Light on the forehead. Drives me nuts.

Swim beside me and keep the light off your forehead and I'm happy!

Oh..also slow down and be fairly predictable if you are leading the dive!

Hey Reefhound, I'll dive with you! Me slow dresser, gearer upper. Me warn new buddies. I'd rather be methodical and go through checklists, etc. I feel stressed with buddies who aren't patient. I dive with those who are.
Two patient people= a relaxing/fun dive.

I'd like to speed things up, but so far, no matter how pre-assembled my rig is, how laid out my drysuit is, etc. I'm still slow. I may always be. I hope not, but it's looking that way. I've always been that way on dry land too. Overly analytical. Overly Virgo-ish. I also usually need to take 3 min. or so at the surface after a surface swim before descending. Some folks are cool with that, no problem, others are annoyed. Compatible buddies will eventually find each other.

I've been the guy who has mistakenly been accused of following too close behind and gets kicked in the face. I've been taught, diving with tech mentors that I should be alongside my buddy. A lot of recreational divers (who should know better) figure if you're within 10-15 ft. it's cool. When I try to follow mulitidirectional darting photographer buddies in fast split fins and stay alongside, they turn and kick me in the face. We aren't matching fin types, swimming speed, direction signals, etc.
Now that I've explained to my current buddy what it is I was taught to do I think we'll strike a more workable balance. I enjoy diving with him and our discussions are always constructive
and mutually helpful so it's good. He thought I was following to closely and probably too dumb not to get constantly kicked in the face. Now he understands my preferred postition in the buddy system/water column and that'll help us both to better enjoy our dives together.

Maybe have that discussion with your too close follower buddy and see what they're thinking? Is it just insecurity or something else?

My bad buddy peeves are reserved for those who disappear and aren't situationally aware (or care) at all. Same ocean same day sucks. I'd rather solo dive if that's the case.

I hate and am actually disgusted by people who manhandle life/critters, silt up everything all the time and break off coral. No respect whatsoever for the natural world.

I'm affraid I too fall into the category of a slow and maticulous gearer upper. I recognize this fault and try to start gearing up in advance so I'm ready when my buddy is. If I'm running behind I appologize to my buddy for being slow and try to finish gearing up as quick as possible.

People who carve their inititals in the reef

Oh man!!! I've never heard of anyone doing that and I hope I never see it. :headshake:

People who carve their inititals in the reef
Oh man!!! I've never heard of anyone doing that and I hope I never see it. :headshake:

God forbid I'm ever with someone who does that. I'll seriously consider thumbing the dive at that point, especially if other small annoyances have built up by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom