The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the Castor once again Saturday morning, and yet again in the afternoon. The seas were 2-3ish and as I look at the pictures I took, it seems as though there wasn't a whole lot of current. On the very bottom the water was getting kinda green and kinda crisp, maybe a 1 degree thermocline. Most of the water was warm and very clear and blue, probably 65' vis or so. The green water built though, and by the time that I went up, the bottom 6 feet or so was a chilly green layer. I saw some type of requiem shark hunting on the main deck back by the stern, about 6' long. When he saw me he took off long before I could get close enough for a shot.

Castorvis62808.jpg

Here's a very similar shot to the one from yesterday. You can see a big difference in the vis, but it was still pretty good.

CastorHog.jpg

A medium sized hogfish looking for a snack on the port side of the Castor.

Next, we did Clubhouse properly. The vis was hanging in there for us and we had an awesome dive. I saw the smallest stingray I've ever seen, a baby southern I guess, and a gigantic rough tail stingray too! A 6 foot nurse shark did a drive by and right before we went up, we found a hawksbill. It was big animal day on clubhouse!

Badbuoyancyparrot.jpg

This parrot fish was just laying there on the reef. I don't know if he tripped and fell, or if he just had bad buoyancy control or what. I took his picture and plan on reporting him.

Babyray.jpg

The baby ray.

mommaray.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/scubakevdm/mommaray.jpg
The momma.

nicenurse.jpg

The nurse shark...

KellyBturt.jpg

...and the turtle completes the set.

Last edited:
Thanks again Kevin for four great dives, it was too tough to pass up the afternoon dives after that kind of vis in the morning. Besides, what better to do after 2 morning wrecks but 2 afternoon reefs!

We'll see you again soon,
Matt

You know, Kevin, I was planning on bringing my camera when I come down in August, but I'm not so sure I need to! Great pics!!!!

This is my first post, on this board. I am considering a dive trip to the Boynton Beach area, in the next couple of weeks. Can you please let me know what the water temperature is? While I am thick skinned, my wife will be upset if she is freezing, while at depth. From what I have been able to determine, the water temp is in the low 80's, at depth. Should be comfortable with just a dive skin. Also, what has the surf/seas been like? Lastly, any recommendations on a local dive operator?

Mike Noirot
St Louis, Missouri

This is my first post, on this board. I am considering a dive trip to the Boynton Beach area, in the next couple of weeks. Can you please let me know what the water temperature is? While I am thick skinned, my wife will be upset if she is freezing, while at depth. From what I have been able to determine, the water temp is in the low 80's, at depth. Should be comfortable with just a dive skin. Also, what has the surf/seas been like? Lastly, any recommendations on a local dive operator?

Mike Noirot
St Louis, Missouri

Mike,

The bee's knees in Boynton Beach diving is ScubaKevDM who maintains this thread. He runs a six-pack dive boat named Explorer and can be contacted at the website of: Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks
Water temps are running 82-84 right now but telling you what the sea state was today doesn't help much because tomorrow will be different. Overall, I don't think any charters have had to cancel any trips for a few weeks. You can monitor the forecast here: NDBC - NWS Forecast

Just a quick note... we've been seeing lemon sharks on almost every trip. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'll try to catch up on the reports later and fill you guys in.

Was Chip diving with you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom