Trip Report Back in Florida, 2022 #4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh no!! That looks like a nasty break! Wishing you a full, speedy recovery.
Thanks Jim,

My orthopedist told me it was actually easy to fix, cranked it back into anatomic position with a cable and then fixed it with a plate, screws, and cables. I have had weight bearing as tolerated since my discharge the day after surgery. Hardest part was all the swelling due to trauma and blood loss from the injury. My leg looked like an elephant leg until just a few days ago. I would never have been able to come directly home if it was not for my wonderful wife ❤️

I'm grateful it was my femur and not my head, neck, or back, the outcome might have been very different.

Sorry to hear that, Craig, and especially to see that femur fracture. Can hardly imagine how it must have hurt.

Richard.
Thanks Richard

After the fracture, my lower leg was completely unstable. Every time my foot would flop to one side or the other, it caused excruciating pain, worst pain I have ever had. I could not move, my wife had to call an ambulance to scoop me up and take me to the hospital. I was very appreciative for the help.

Hi @Johnoly

The real problem is how this system works. I make a reservation with JDC and they take my money. If I want to cancel, it must be within 48 hours or I lose my money. I went diving with JDC on one day and they ended up cancelling the afternoon dive, nothing about the 2 charters for the next day. At 5:30 pm, they cancel the 2 charters for the next day due to lack of divers. I have to hustle and land a ride for the next day. As a local, I am able to arrange a ride for the next day. If I were a visitor, I would be lost. This is simply not a user friendly system, entirely in favor of the operator with the up front payment and the draconian cancel policy. They are able to cancel late in the afternoon/evening before the dive day. No wonder this pisses people off, including me.
I like my system. If I want to go diving or fishing, I just hop on the boat and go!!

Sorry to see this (the fracture, not the dive trip). Get well, my friend.

Sorry to hear that Craig but happy to hear that you are doing better and expect to be back in the water by the end of the year. The diving spirit is strong with you!

Today was somewhat of a milestone for me, my 2,250th dive since my restart in 1997. I'm hoping to make 2,500 dives by my 70th birthday in January 2024, that may be somewhat of a reach. We'll see :)
Fantastic. I am very impressed.

The Florida waves, hurricane and the related bad visibility PLUS work and two long “non-dive” vacations have wreaked havoc on my dives in 2022. Trying again this weekend, November 11th, and November 12 with Calypso (out of Riviera Beach) with 5 friends. Have you ever dived with them? Six pack operation. A few lined up with Pura Vida in December.

Hope you can squeeze in those 250 dives.

Hi @Catito

I do the majority of my diving in Boynton Beach and Jupiter. When I go out of Riviera Beach, I dive with Narcosis and Walkers. I had a charter scheduled with Calypso once, but it was cancelled due to sea conditions. An old friend was going to drive that day. I have dived with Pura Vida, they are very good.

Best of luck for your dives on the 11th and 12th.

I will get in the 250 dives eventually, nothing really magical about my 70th birthday, I'm already pretty old :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom