Trip Report Back in Florida, 2022 #4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Craig, sorry to see those xrays. I broke my hip mountain biking in 2005; was put back in the right posiition and pinned; that lasted ten years, had total hip replacement in 2015; still the number one first place I get pain from sitting in a car or riding in an airplane, but, for me at least, the biggest challenge to diving is standing up and walking around on boats with gear on, and that has so far yielded to regular strength exercises.

151028 New THR prosthesis and cable ties.jpg

The cables ties were the ortho surgeon hedging his risk that the screws, now removed, might have weakened the bone. Seven years on so far so good.

Hi David,

I've had my share of orthopedic surgeries. I had early osteoarthritis. Had right hip replacement in 1998 and left in 2000. Goal was lifetime, unfortunately investigational ceramic on ceramic joints were not yet ready. Redo left in 2010 and right in 2012, broke both of the acetabular cups. Now 12 and 10 years, months go by and I don't think of them. The recent femur fx was a surprise, notice it was just below the femoral shaft for my hip, apparently quite common. I'll be back again soon. This is the most difficult recovery

Three weeks out,
Ohh, TSA is going to put your leg picture in their X-ray training manual.
I didn't even use that much coat hanger wire on my 1968 muffler repair.
Heal up fast !!

So, not everything goes as planned. My 6 week follow up revealed that I had broken my fixation hardware and that the fracture was unstable.

I went back to surgery a little over 2 weeks ago for removal and replacement of the hardware. I had my 2+ week follow up today and everything is perfect :) . Looks like I may be able to take a pound off with all that metal in my left leg.

I hope to be back sometime in 1Q

1671647996416.png

..broken my fixation hardware
Just like a car, it's probably got a warranty. And now you'll be getting phone calls to renew your extended warranty. :)

So, not everything goes as planned. My 6 week follow up revealed that I had broken my fixation hardware and that the fracture was unstable.

I went back to surgery a little over 2 weeks ago for removal and replacement of the hardware. I had my 2+ week follow up today and everything is perfect :) . Looks like I may be able to take a pound off with all that metal in my left leg.

View attachment 760046
hope you get better soon

View attachment 760046

Sorry to hear about your setback but glad to see that you are once again on the road the recovery.

So, I have not been diving since Oct 13, 2022. I broke my left femur on Oct 16 and went to surgery on the 17th. Unfortunately, I broke the fixation hardware and had to go back to surgery on Dec 5. Now, a little over 14 weeks later and 8 weeks of physical therapy, I have been released from ortho with a perfectly healed fracture and no restrictions on my activity. I will be back down in Florida next month and diving once I'm a bit more stable and stronger. Believe me, you will all hear about it.
1678899030775.png
:) :):)

So, I have not been diving since Oct 13, 2022. I broke my left femur on Oct 16 and went to surgery on the 17th. Unfortuneately, I broke the fixation hardware and had to go back to surgery on Dec 5. Now, a little over 14 weeks later and 8 weeks of physical therapy, I have been released from ortho with a perfectly healed fracture and no restrictions on my activity. I will be back down in Florida next month and diving once I'm a bit more stable and stronger. Believe me, you will all hear about it.
View attachment 774616 :) :):)
glad to hear @scubadada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom