Trip Report Back in Florida, 2022 #4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today was somewhat of a milestone for me, my 2,250th dive since my restart in 1997. I'm hoping to make 2,500 dives by my 70th birthday in January 2024, that may be somewhat of a reach. We'll see :)
Wow! I just hit 500 and thought I was hot you-know-what! Now I know I'm just a cold little turd (as they used to say). Congratulations Craig!!! Here's to hoping you get that 2500 with room to spare before your 70th!

I wish operators cooperated enough so that when one cancelled due to low business one day, they could offer divers a transfer to another operator's boat. It wouldn't be ideal, and yes it'd divert business to a competitor, but it would improve the success rate for getting dives in.
We were told to go to a different dive op for this reason once - it allowed us to get in our dives rather than sit it out - and I think it was in Key Largo?

You can't plan for weather cancellations or lack of divers, but when divers make a reservation and cancel within 24 hours or no-show I think they should pay a minimum to allow the boat to still operate for those who are still diving so the boat goes out. That won't make up for tips, but MANY businesses charge for late cancellation and no-shows, why shouldn't dive ops do so and enforce it?

When divers book and don't show, I don't have an issue with dive op.s keeping the money, if those were the terms of the deal. That's on the diver. If weather cancels the trip due to safety concerns, I have no issue with that. That's on no one. Full refund.

When the diver books, pays, is to receive a service and shows up for it, and the weather is fine, then I expect that diver to get that service. If not enough other divers booked that's not that diver's fault. I occasionally hear trip reports where an op. took so few people out it wouldn't have been profitable for them.

So basically the op. wants the option to cancel very late on divers, some of whom may've taken precious limited time off from work, or bought plane tickets, etc..., to be there for those dives.

If the dive op. isn't going to honor its end on the grounds that trip's not profitable, I'd like to see more of a customer service effort. That could mean referring the customer to another op. That's not optimal, but if you call to cancel for inadequate bookings, notifying your customer of a nearby op. that's got an opening and willing to take them counts for something.

The reality is that for the local diving, the variable costs associated with making the trip are not that great. Boat runs are short, if the boat is owner operated then capt costs nothing and often a single crew member does not get paid much.

I was diving SE FL for the first time since Hurricane Ian on Thursday 13 October; was with Pura Vida Divers from WPB on an almost full boat. I agree with everything @scubadada said about the frustrations, and also about still loving the SE FL diving despite the frustrations.
pufferfixh head on smiling closeup (1 of 1).jpg

My friends in Florida,

So, I had a fall a couple of days after getting back to my home outside Philadelphia that put a small dent in my diving plans. I'm now a couple days past two weeks after surgery and am starting to improve pretty rapidly. I'm getting around quite well with a cane, mostly just for security. The swelling of my left leg has really started getting better over the last 2 or 3 days. Recovery from this injury has been considerably more difficult than from my hip replacements. Of course, I'm 10 years older than when I had my last hip surgery.

I'll be back in the water before the end of the year, see you then :)

Craig

1667409505204.png

My friends in Florida,

So, I had a fall a couple of days after getting back to my home outside Philadelphia that put a small dent in my diving plans. I'm now a couple days past two weeks after surgery and am starting to improve pretty rapidly. I'm getting around quite well with a cane, mostly just for security. The swelling of my left leg has really started getting better over the last 2 or 3 days. Recovery from this injury has been considerably more difficult than from my hip replacements. Of course, I'm 10 years older than when I had my last hip surgery.

I'll be back in the water before the end of the year, see you then :)

Craig

View attachment 751563

Oh no!! That looks like a nasty break! Wishing you a full, speedy recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom