The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats the loggerhead that tried to kill me last night, I can tell by its eyes.

Thats the loggerhead that tried to kill me last night, I can tell by its eyes.

It might be. He wasn't trying to kill you though, just rob you.

Hey! We went diving at night on Friday! Seas were absolutely flat, and though the forecast threatened, the skies stayed clear and made for a beautiful night to be on the water. Visibility was around 40' or so. Water temps were a little chilly, with a thremocline just starting to trickle across the top of the reef. There were definitely some areas where it was stronger than others, but the warm water was about 80º, the cold was about 77º or so.

We started out with a twilight dip at Clubhouse. The current was flowing mostly to the west, but a little to the north, so we went north (which was good because Clubhouse is on the southern end of the reef). We found a nice big southern stingray having a ray-snack. A smaller one arrived on the scene as we photographed the big one eating, but he wouldn't come very close to me, or say cheese. I got an okay shot of the big one though, and I'm pretty sure everyone else in the group did too.

We fizzed for a while, and then moved on up to Black Condo for the next dive. The pain in the butt west current had subsided completely, and we had a nice gentle glide north. The was an incident with one of the divers, that I was unaware of until the end of the dive. I saw someone moving their light rapidly from side to side. I swam over to see what was up and the diver aimed their light up towards the crest of the reef, illuminating a large male loggerhead cruising in the distance. I was delighted that she was able to spot him so far off, and clapped my hands. What I didn't understand was that she was made aware of the turtle when it swam up to her and completely removed her mask. She somehow was able to keep her wits about her, locate her mask and calmly put it back on before she signaled to me to come see the turtle! Now I have a new example of why it is important to learn the mask remove and replace skill!

nightray.jpg

We found a cool stingray having dinner.

twighlight.jpg

It was a beautiful night to be out on the water.

nightturt.jpg

This is a different turtle, not the mask snatcher.

Okay!
Here's the report from Saturday! Seas were flat,

We went in at Jerry's No-name, and eventually wandered over to Briney Breezes. There was a gentle south current, and visibility was about 45'. I don't recall noticing the thermocline, and didn't check the water temp, so it must have been normal, which is about 82º right now. We found lots of lobsters, I took pictures of 10 different ones.

lobstersready.jpg

The lobsters are getting ready for mini-season.

The next spot we did was Gulfstream, the conditions remained the same on this dive. I found a neat little octopus, but couldn't manage to get the attention of the rest of the group, so I couldn't spend as much time with it as I would have liked to. Also, I found a mutant queen angelfish. It still had the electric blue accents, but was missing the royal blue pigment on its body. Unfortunately, I found it right after the other diver had thumbed the dive, but I took a picture from above to document it. I'll go back again on Wednesday and see if I can find the octopus and the mutant angelfish for better pictures.

octopus-1.jpg

An octopus! I wish I had taken the wide angle diopter off of my camera. Doh!

yellowangel.jpg

The mutant yellow queen angelfish.

Kev,

The Angel looks like it might be a Townsand. The Townsand is a hybrid caused when a Queen mates with a Blue. Townsands are more muted than the Queens, and may or may not have the crown.

Nice shots by the way.

Kev, thanks again for a great day of diving last Tuesday. Thanks, also, for the great photos!

My friends all loved the photos, too... "just like ones you'd see in a magazine" they said!

Hey Kev,

Thanks for the encouragement! Talked to a few of the docs today, they're interested in going out too - one is a freediver spearfisherman, other two need to take a class probably. Anyway - looks like it may be a busy summer!

Hey, alright! I must confess, the last few days have been like a blur with all the diving we've done. It seems as though summer is definitely here. On Friday, we ran two trips. We only started out with the morning, but it was so nice everyone wanted to go back out. We did the Castor followed by the Capt. Tony in the a.m. and an the exotic "Around the Horn" which took us down the very end of Clubhouse around the corner and into the fingers. Conditions conducive for doing this reef are very rare. :wink: The second p.m. dive was Lynn's reef.

Seas were 2-3'. Visibility on the Castor was somewhere around 100' and there was a strong north current. Water temps were 82º.

Casorengsurprize.jpg

I surprised a Goliath grouper in the engine room.

Castorviz62708.jpg

It was about 8:30 a.m. when we first got down on the wreck, so it was kinda dark, but still you can just barely make out the handrail on the bow from a good bit aft of the split. I'd say it was very close to 100' viz.

By the time we had dropped down on the Tony, the current had subsided quite a bit, and it was just trickling north. We were joined by a nice hawksbill turtle Some of you may remember one with the very last two sections of his shell missing the top layer, with brown fire coral looking stuff growing on it that used to hang out on the north end of the reef. Apparently he's on the move, when he left us he was heading south. Anyway, he swan around with us for 10 minutes or so before he left.

Mattturtle.jpg

DiveMatt and the fire coral turtle.

MidnightTony.jpg

There was a cool midnight parrot fish cruising around in the cargo hold.

I had a student in the afternoon, so I didn't take any pictures, but Annasea brought hers and I am hopeful that she will be able to fill in for me in that respect. The seas had subsided to 1-2' by the afternoon, and though the current up top was moving very slightly north, the current on the bottom was moving very slightly south, so we dropped every one at Clubhouse expecting them to move north along the ledge. Instead we drifted south to the very end of the reef, then swam north along the outside which has very spectacular east-west running fingers. We had to swim, but the current was very light so it wasn't so bad. There was an awesome loggerhead getting cleaned next to the ledge in the sand.

The last dive of the day was The Jump into Lynn's. There was just about zero current, and the vis had declined to 60 or 65' up on Lynn's and about 45' out on the jump. There were tons of Florida lobsters, and one of the divers found a slipper lobster too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom